Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 vs G-Cat 5.0  Bottom

• Hi, I currently have a prindle 16. It has a barber hauler system and I have a furling system for the jib. I like that the boat is light and easy to rig and sail. It is stable and can handle a good bit of weight. It is fine for two-three people. It can handle four, but the tramp gets really crowded. I also don't like the rudder system. I know I could move up to an 18, but I am really trying to stay with 16 because it is easier to trailer.

I have a chance to buy a GCat 5.0 for $1,000.00 with no trailer. The G-Cat is in good shape. Everything is there. The only issue with it is the current owner epoxied the bottom of the hulls. He claims one of the hulls had a hole in it from beach rash and that he added epoxy to the keel of both hulls to "beef" them up. My questions are as follows.

1.) Should the quality of his epoxy job concern me? Any tips on checking it?

2.) Regarding the front tramp of the G-Cat 5.0, my understanding is that the jib attaches to the front crossbar, meaning it sits very low, which leaves very little clearance on the front tramp. Does this render the front tramp less useful? When I change directions, kids in the front will have to somehow move around the jib without getting tangled in the jib line. Also, does it limit my ability to strap a cooler to the front tramp?

3.) One way around that might be to get a new jib from a different boat. In looking at the measurements, it looks like my rolling furler system and prindle forestay would work with the original prindle pigtail. I suppose I could try a prindle 16 jib. Any thoughts on this or somehow converting the G-Cat jib system to allow for a furling system and more jib to tramp clearance?

4.) Last question, since I trailer and don't always go out for the entire day, minimal rigging time is critical to me. I can rig a Hobie 16 in 20 minutes or so. For the prindle, it is a bit more because the boom is not already connected to the main. Is there any noticeable difference in rigging time with the G-Cat 5?

Thanks for your help.
  • I am a Hobie 16\Gcat 5.7 owner. I believe the 5.0 and 5.7 are similar.

Don't shy away from an 18 foot boat for trailer reasons. They are not more difficult to trailer. Boats like the Prindle 18 and Gcat 5.7 are not more difficult to rig in my opinion, maybe a longer\heavier mast but not a big difference. I find my Gcat 5.7 and Hobie 16 take about the same time to rig. Gcats are known to be easy to rig

The jib on the gcat does attach at the front crossbar, but I find it does not inconvenience passengers much. However, it is not a hangout spot in decent wind, especially on the 5.0. Kids are ok in moderate conditions but when it picks up weight should be behind the mast. I strap a cooler to my front tramp all the time and it is no issue.

If you move to an 18 boat, it will have more weight capacity but doesn't really offer more significant tramp space.(Except maybe a Gcat5.7, but again the front tramp is not always usable) If you are looking for 4 passenger comfort, a winged boat may be in your future.

You can add a furling system, but the jib will be smaller, since it will attach at the bridles as opposed to the crossbar. Doubt this will have to much of an adverse impact. My Gcat has barber haulers, not sure if they are stock on the 5.0

Epoxy\fiberglass tape on the boat bottom is common practice. I find epoxy to be pretty user friendly, if the repair looks and feels solid it probably is good, and after a few seasons dragging in on the beach you will probably do it again anyway.

I like my Gcat rudder system, but replacement parts can be hard to find. Have not broken anything yet(Other than the transom but that was from being dropped on a bar by some major surf, can't really blame the boat) I buy spare anything whenever I can just in case.

Gcat 5.0 is a good choice, but you also already own a good choice. Maybe you could be a 2 boat family for a while and make a decision. Prindle 16 may sell a little easier, at least in my area.

Good luck

Edited by jalex on Oct 11, 2016 - 07:08 PM.
  • I owned a G-Cat 5.7 for a few years and loved it. Reasonably fast boat without boards but not too easily overpowered when solo sailing. Good with weight. The problem I found and with two sets of replacement hulls is that the epoxy that bonds the hull and deck becomes brittle and allowing the joint to literally come apart. I was able to completely pry my hulls and decks apart with a hacksaw blade in one afternoon in order to re-epoxy the joint. I would not be concerned about the bottom job. Regarding the bottom job, I would try to find the edges of the repair and see if you can pry it off. Ask if they used west system or polyester resin to do the repair. If polyester then it won't last.
  • I owned a G-Cat 5.7 for a few years and loved it. Reasonably fast boat without boards but not too easily overpowered when solo sailing. Good with weight. The problem I found and with two sets of replacement hulls is that the epoxy that bonds the hull and deck becomes brittle and allowing the joint to literally come apart. I was able to completely pry my hulls and decks apart with a hacksaw blade in one afternoon in order to re-epoxy the joint. Regarding the bottom job, I would try to find the edges of the repair and see if you can pry it off. Ask if they used west system or polyester resin to do the repair. If polyester then it might not last.
  • Thanks to both of you for the reply. I would probably keep both boats for a while and then sell the one I like less. The other thought I had was to just hunt for a good deal on a Getaway for family trips, as it seems to have everything I am looking for. It has more expensive, but they are also easy to resell. Given the way the hull job looks on the G-Cat 5, I am worried it would be difficult to resell, and I don't have time to do a lot of hull work.

When I got the prindle, one of the first things I noticed about rigging was how much lighter the mast is than the Hobie 16. I trailer backwards, and I could probably solo step the prindle fairly easily since it nearly sits vertical whereas hobie needs more rake. I wouldn't attempt it with the Hobie since my car is behind me when stepping. The thought of an 18 interests me, especially if it is not more difficult to rig, etc... I wonder if a pot 1984 Hobie 18 would be better for us than a G Cat due to the wings? I guess I could look at specs to determine weight differences, etc... Thoughts on this?

I really like the Prindle for non-family sailing. I only paid $600 for it with trailer and nice cat trax. It came with the furling system and 6:1 harkens on the main sail. I did have to replace the rigging and lines. Hulls are solid, but needed cleaning (and have had a delamination repair on one of them). Someone else in my family has a Hobie 16. I'd really like to try to take some speed/wind measurements on both of them. I know the Hobie is rated slightly faster, but in 15mph wind, I feel like the Prindle is considerably faster in all but an extreme broad reach or run. In lighter wind, I do not perceive much of a difference, but I realize that my perceptions are very unscientific. I also find the prindle easier to tack than the Hobie.
  • Getaway and Hobie 18 are both a good bit heavier than what you are use to. If you are beach launching and retrieving you will notice.

Also, with the 18 you are adding daggerboards, not sure if that is an issue for you. One more thing to worry about, but you will feel the performance

Edited by jalex on Oct 12, 2016 - 09:09 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.