Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra Rudders. NOT A PIVMATIC THREAD!!  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Quote If the rudder is hitting the bottom of the transom it is likely a rudder that was modified. Nacra only used one casting and gudgeon for all legacy boats and they just didn't hit the transom unless something was compromised or modified on the boat over the last 30 years...

Phillip, you are correct in something was modified, & it was something I too was unaware of.
    Nacra kept much of the same fittings, but they CHANGED the actual rudder blades in the newer boats.
    Eddies legacy 5.7 has had the blades changed to those supplied with the newer 500 & 570 boats.
    These blades have a distinct relief moulded into them at the top end, thus allowing them to be pulled an inch or more under the hull vs the old straight blades.
    I’m assuming this was done to relieve weather helm & make it easier to tame tiller tug.
    The reliefs end, & the blade returns to its original shape just where it hits the bottom edge of the stern.
    Our old blade shapes meant when the blade hit the casting, it was still clear of the hull, not the case with the new blades.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    Quote If the rudder is hitting the bottom of the transom it is likely a rudder that was modified. Nacra only used one casting and gudgeon for all legacy boats and they just didn't hit the transom unless something was compromised or modified on the boat over the last 30 years...

Phillip, you are correct in something was modified, & it was something I too was unaware of.
    Nacra kept much of the same fittings, but they CHANGED the actual rudder blades in the newer boats.
    Eddies legacy 5.7 has had the blades changed to those supplied with the newer 500 & 570 boats.
    These blades have a distinct relief moulded into them at the top end, thus allowing them to be pulled an inch or more under the hull vs the old straight blades.
    I’m assuming this was done to relieve weather helm & make it easier to tame tiller tug.
    The reliefs end, & the blade returns to its original shape just where it hits the bottom edge of the stern.
    Our old blade shapes meant when the blade hit the casting, it was still clear of the hull, not the case with the new blades.

There you have it . . .

The 500 and the 570 are COMPLETELY different boats than the legacy 5.0 and 5.7. The new boats have completely different rudders, rudder castings, tiller arms, etc. The beams are the new D extrusion, and the hull layup, construction is new. The jibs became more blades than overlapping, lower tack points, more rig rake (hence the new rudder rake), different main, etc.

I put several of these new designed boats together at P'cola Nacra Nationals in 2007, when the new Nacra owners were there to introduce the new line and do the photo shoots for the new marketing and brochures. I sailed all the rigs, I was part of the team who took them out of the box and put them together.

To summarize, the new Nacra 570 did NOT KEEP ANY of the same fittings from the legacy 5.7. Everything on the boat is new . . . and some hardware parts (beam extrusion, rudder castings, tiller arms and tiller crossbars) was sourced from the Inter 20, F17, and Inter 18 newer designs and updated hardware, which are totally different than the legacy 5.7.

As I stated before, Eddie (rungi) would help us out if he would share everything about his modified boat. Heck, we're just learning it's legacy 5.7 hulls . . . no clue about other details, . . . assumed 5.8 rig, sails, jib, etc. Like I said, it's all here. It's all been answered. EdChris has put together great insight and many helpful albums through the years. There are some really knowledgeable folks here.

and the rudders (SMH) . . . I shared detailed experience in a past post regarding legacy rudder tune up and operation. When it is done correctly as I discussed the rudder system works flawlessly! You can manage your rudder to any position you like, to deal with whatever, shallows, beach landing, etc. Others have chosen to modify and that is fine also, to each his own. But it's just not necessary.

I've got pictures of all the new designed boats and I should probably put together an album when I get a minute.

--
    Philip
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.