Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

A class  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• You clearly know these boats better than I do, but I'm going to have to differ with you on this, unless you've seen one that uses 2" webbing for mast rotation.

Those parts are RWO R324 - newer numbers R3240 + R3230 - even newer numbers R3240 + R3284 (toestrap gear).

The mast rotation is done via that guide and camcleat on the center tube.
  • I don’t really know anything about those old boats.

It’s hard to tell with the scale is. Anyways, on a boat that old I wouldn’t assume anything is original. It wouldn’t be a big deal to add a provision for the strap on the tramp you have, or just get a new one made with a similar provision.

The link below has some pictures of another tramp.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p16828-1969-a-class-catamaran-unicorn.html

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Yes, I did spot that (very nice!) one, but didn't learn anything from the pictures.

As far as what might be original or not on mine, I think I'd lean toward "yes" on these, simply because the RWO part numbers are so old and thus probably contemporary with the boat's construction date. But that still leaves the "what about the other end of the straps?" question, so I really dunno. I suspect what I'm going to do is add similar (and probably RWO as well) parts to the aft crossbeam. But I scarcely know how to describe this tramp other than "rock hard and brittle", so there won't be any modifying it - I'll be lucky if I can test drive it without going right through the damn thing. I'll likely have a new one made (unless you can direct me to an available replacement) with at least one pair of hold-down cross-straps for the hiking straps to pass under - I'm not a fan of straps stitched down to the tramp.

Today's good news, though, is that I sold all of the extra bits that came with mine - which turned out to be an entire Albacore rig minus the hull. That covered nearly half of what I paid for the lot, making this cat less than $180 USD out of pocket. Please don't hate me...

Edited by jonathan162 on Sep 25, 2023 - 01:19 AM.
  • jonathan162Oh, I'm stressing, I'm stressing. You don't indicate where you are, so I don't know whether you're prone to extremely gusty winds, as we have here in/near the mountains. I wouldn't sail without hiking straps for a hot minute, because they're essentially a safety backup for when there's not enough wind overall to be hooked onto the wire, but at any second a hard gust can knock your ass over. And they're invaluable when you take a newbie out. If I'm not hooked in, my toes are under it.

Call me a wuss, but not having them is a worse feeling than driving without a seat belt.Edited by jonathan162 on Sep 20, 2023 - 11:51 AM.

I use the hiking straps a lot. I have a modified Prindle 18-2 and a Classic Tornado. The Nader is obvious since it's single trap. On the Mod 18-2, I will stay in and hike with the wind is over 25 knots. Especially when I'm doing speed runs. Our lake has a lot of development so it's very puffy.. I can easily have winds 10-25 knots during a cold front. I have found running offshore in 20+ knots downwind, I use the hiking strap like a bullrider.. I have mainsheet and hiking strap in one hand and tiller in other. I have almost gotten slung off the hull while surfing a 6' swell. Yes, 6' isn't that big compared to the east and west coast, but the wavelengths are only 60-70'.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • texastuma I have found running offshore in 20+ knots downwind, I use the hiking strap like a bullrider.. I have mainsheet and hiking strap in one hand and tiller in other.

Gotta love crazy Texans!
    I'm picturing a caricature of Scott on the back of a T-shirt. He's "bullriding" Frankenkitty down the face of a 6 footer...cowboy hat and boots, chaps, handlebar mustache...the whole bit. TCDYC logo on the front.
    Yippee ki yo ki yay! I'd buy one!

Edited by rattlenhum on Sep 26, 2023 - 10:20 AM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Ride 'em, cowboy! Eight seconds or bust!
  • jonathan162Ride 'em, cowboy! Eight seconds or bust!

Lasted 8 seconds....

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=137844

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.