Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

BeachCat recomendation  Bottom

• Hi, I am new to catamarans.
    My main interest with them is to joyride. For example, having 5-10 people in the trampoline and just fun cruising.

I am interested in something similar to the Hobie, but I can only find them up to 16-18ft. Usually the website says that it is only for 2-3 people.

Could someone please recommend me a catamaran of this style>?

Thanks!
  • Hi, and welcome to the group, though we're probably not what you're looking for!

Definitions vary, but generally speaking a "beach cat" is a boat of - more or less - up to 20' long (and 10' wide) that can be trailered, put together and launched off a ramp or beach and sailed by - again, more or less - one, two, or maybe three people. It actually has less to do with the number of bodies on board than it does the total crew weight. These are recreational and racing boats that are completely open to the elements, so no cabins, berths, etc. You might find one of us piling half a dozen little kids on one of the bigger beach cats for a cruise on a sunny day without too much wind, but 5-10 adults is getting way out of our range.

You're really looking for a "cruising" catamaran, and there are other fora dedicated to those larger boats.

There are some boats that kind of bridge the gap between these two worlds, like the Stiletto 27 that was made back in the 80s, and you still see them around. That might start to get you into the right territory.

But this forum is full of people a lot smarter than me, so I look forward to what they have to offer.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • Sticking to traditional beachcats:

High buoyancy, holds several adults, etc. then likely you're looking at a Hobie Getaway. It has gobs of flotation, but isn't really a "performance catamaran". Still, can be loads of fun. I've had my whole family on one during vacation (4 adults) and it sailed pretty good - not flying a hull, but you certainly can fly a Getaway hull in the right conditions. Great resell value at the moment.

My boat has had 6 older adults on it and can still fly a hull, but then it's a bit more complicated and a LOT bigger in every way at 21'.

Both boats have wings on them, which allows for more comfort and more people, though it limits your selection on boats. Now if money wasn't a big deal, then a NACRA 570 with wings would be the ultimate ticket... However, I think you're looking at a Getaway.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • riquelme98Hi, I am new to catamarans.
    My main interest with them is to joyride. For example, having 5-10 people in the trampoline and just fun cruising.

I am interested in something similar to the Hobie, but I can only find them up to 16-18ft. Usually the website says that it is only for 2-3 people.

Could someone please recommend me a catamaran of this style>?

Thanks!

The challenge will be is small (

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • riquelme98Hi, I am new to catamarans.

What type area would you be sailing? From a beach, shoreline, or dock?

Have you done any sailing? Share some details and you'll get better advice.

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • You can check out an older Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser that has a nice trampoline and can be beached.
    More performance could be the stiletto.

What about a trimaran instead such as an older Corsair or Farrier?
    Another tri is the Seacart 26.

Edited by dwk on Sep 26, 2023 - 05:19 PM.
  • The Nacra 570 Mk2 has optional wing seats. If you have deep pockets, go for it.

Getaways are great cruisers.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • This is so subjective it's really impossible to make a recommendation without more parameters. I will say this however, if you're looking to entertain a crowd perhaps a beach cat isn't for you and keep in mind anything over 8.5 feet wide cannot be legally trailered without a special "tilt trailer" which will really complicate things. My best advice is rent a Hobie Getaway and go from there before making any decisions.

QuoteMy main interest with them is to joyride. For example, having 5-10 people in the trampoline and just fun cruising.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • As others have said, we need more details on mission. For the most part you are not going to fit 10 people on a beach cat. Even if it did have the flotation bodies would be laying over every square inch and all over every sheet and control on the boat.

4 people is easily doable on many boats however. Anything with a lot of volume like a Supercat 17 or bigger, Some of the Nacras, Hobie or Prindle 18 or bigger, etc.

My friend group hosts beach days where we setup a tent on the beach to hang out and take turns with 3 or 4 at a time on my Supercat 17. This would likely be the best mode of operation for your group.

Stuff like the Hobie Getaway and other bigger volume boats with wings could do 5 or 6 adults. As others mentioned you might be looking at a Stiletto or Reynolds if you need your whole group on the boat at the same time. Those are a lot more serious boat and while beachable are not a beachcat.

Edited by warimono on Sep 27, 2023 - 03:32 PM.
  • I have enjoyed the situation you're hoping for on a catamaran, just not a beachcat.
    There were 10 of us on a Reynolds 23 at the lake one weekend, partying our butts off.
    23 feet long, 12 feet wide with telescoping crossbars that allowed it to trailer at 8.5-ish feet wide.
    On board head in one hull and a small galley (huge ice chest) in the other.
    Setup requires significant time and effort.
    Front and rear tramps gave ample room.
    In a gentle breeze it was great fun.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • shortyfox...keep in mind anything over 8.5 feet wide cannot be legally trailered without a special "tilt trailer" which will really complicate things.

Not entirely true - there are telescoping-beam boats (like the SuperCat20 and apparently the Reynolds 23 mentioned above), and is seems like there are a lot of folding trimarans. So it's not a done deal that one is stuck with a tilt trailer (wacko impractical in many ways, in my view). Otherwise, your advice is sound - more context would make offering advice easier, and the best first thing he could do would probably be to rent a Getaway.
  • QuoteNot entirely true - there are telescoping-beam boats (like the SuperCat20 and apparently the Reynolds 23 mentioned above) and is seems like there are a lot of folding trimarans.

I remember when SC came out with those telescoping beams. It did not work all that well. If it did, other manufacturers would be doing it. I don't know about the Reynolds. Tris are a whole 'nother smoke. If I was to consider any boat with over the legal beam limit, it would only be in a situation where the boat was stored in a mast up facility like a sailing club. That being said, 10 ft beam on a 20 ft boat is great! It's like being on the wire without being on the wire.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Nacra 5.7 with wings is a cheaper option than the new Nacra 570 with wings. But they are harder to find. There were a couple for sale in Texas in the last couple years. Happily I bought one of them. But unhappily I just had back surgery and am not going to be sailing it again for a little while. I've not had more than 3 on the boat yet though (crew weight about 515).
  • shortyfoxI remember when SC came out with those telescoping beams. It did not work all that well. If it did, other manufacturers would be doing it. I don't know about the Reynolds. Tris are a whole 'nother smoke. If I was to consider any boat with over the legal beam limit, it would only be in a situation where the boat was stored in a mast up facility like a sailing club. That being said, 10 ft beam on a 20 ft boat is great! It's like being on the wire without being on the wire.

I won't be getting mine wet until spring; in the meantime I'm tuning up the relevant bits, starting with a new set of "beam buttons", which are the little plastic bearings that sit between the tubes. I have an early trailer built by or for Roberts - it just extends the port hull out rather than both out from center, as I think the Trailex does. I'll see how it works. I wanted it specifically because I do not have a home lake or club, so it's obviously not going to be for casual evening sails. Btw, 12', not 10' beam, and I'll be soloing, so I still expect to be on the wire.
  • mmmerlinNacra 5.7 with wings is a cheaper option than the new Nacra 570 with wings. But they are harder to find. There were a couple for sale in Texas in the last couple years. Happily I bought one of them. But unhappily I just had back surgery and am not going to be sailing it again for a little while. I've not had more than 3 on the boat yet though (crew weight about 515).

There was one for sale at Lynn Sailboats, did you grab that one?

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • No, I bought mine from a guy in Angleton off Facebook late last summer. And the one at Lynn's I saw mentioned on one of the forums recently. It may still be for sale.

Edited by mmmerlin on Sep 28, 2023 - 05:26 PM.
  • QuoteSo it's not a done deal that one is stuck with a tilt trailer (wacko impractical in many ways, in my view).

The trailer that came with the Reynolds 23 was extendable on one side, so it did not have a tilt feature. It worked surprisingly well, but needed two people to pull the hull out at the same time. Crossbar locked in place with bolts, and the connection was strong.
    The 23 is a big catamaran, you can sleep in the hulls - forward of the head or galley. You'll want to leave it set up and stored on or close to shore for a couple of days at a time. I can't see setting it up in the morning and taking it down that night - too much work for one day of play.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I can't be the only guy who finds it annoying when everyone takes the time and makes the effort to offer their best suggestions, and the OP doesn't bother to acknowledge any of it...
  • OP is a one-post wonder and gone.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.