Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First turtle  Bottom

• During a local race today I got hit by a rogue gust while gybing and went for a swim. I immediately uncleared everything and was on the lower hull in seconds. As I was climbing onto the hull I noticed that the mast was rapidly sinking. Within 1015 seconds of getting on the hull, the boat completely turtled.

I've been over on it a few times previously and never had an issue other than solo righting. The only change I've made is adding a new SLoSails trampoline (mesh).

It was blowing ~12 with gust to nearly 20. Is it possible that the gust had enough pressure on the tramp to cause to turtle, or do I need to look at something else?

I got assistance from a power boat, and once we had my boat in the normal capsized position, it righted easily which makes be believe my mast is still sealed.

Any ideas?

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • It would seem if the mast floated while in the "normal capsized position" then there was no water in the mast.
    Something I never thought of before: when the sail is released, wouldn't that allow the sail to move up to waterline, as mast is pushed down via wind on tramp allowing mast to further sink and then turtle? Would it be best to get the boat into the wind, then release the sheet?

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • If you are thinking to add a mast float, a fender makes a good one. You need to add a strapeye to attach the lower end. It has worked for me, I think my mast is still sealed but I don't want to rely on that and I'm not even sure that it's enough to keep it from turtling. You seem to have proven that not.
  • wind pressure on the tramp can indeed force the mast into the water causing a complete turtle, that said, I would double check mast to see if it has taken on any water since turtle.

Edited by the-renovator on Jul 12, 2015 - 01:44 PM.
  • I've had a couple of turtles in my years of catsailing, and in both events I'm still at a loss as to precisely what happened, even though both masts were sealed. Maybe sometimes circumstances conspire....

Dave
  • Only time I turtled my Hobie 18 was when I turtled it TWICE on the same trip (of three capsizes). I was a tired, tired, tired sailor at the end of that trip.

--
    Shawn

Current: H18 (Bosun's Toy), Buccaner 272 (No Priorities)

Past: Prindle 18 (EssVee)

Previous life: 110' Island Class Patrol Boat
    47' Motor Life Boat
    44' Motor Life Boat
    41' Utility Boat
    30' Surf Rescue Boat
    Various other smaller rescue boats
    --
  • Probably had to do with the point of sail you were headed on when you went over. In a "normal" knock down when you are headed upwind, you will get some wind under the sails as well as the tramp pointed in a more upwind direction. This helps keep the boat on its side.

If you were pointing downwind when you went over, you have the wind and waves driving the mast down into the turtled position. The best way to prevent turtling is to get on the leeward hull as quick as possible and then start getting the bows turned into the wind.

sm
  • A Gybe capsize often puts the tramp up wind and that may add to pressure on the mast. I think the H-16 and N5.2 have external Halyard, but If you halyard is internal, you will want to make sure your "halyard-Straw is up to the mast top" the lower 6ft of the mast do not need to be sealed.

I agree with not unsheeting the main until the boat has come around the wind, this is a much longer time than if you capsize on a tack. My boats P-19Mx and Bimare-18HT nearly always require the righting bag. when it is Fresh I sometimes can get it back up with just my 170lbs.

--
    See you on the water
    2003 Bimare 18HT solo Sailor
    Formerly P-19MX solo sailor
    Portsmouth RI
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.