Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Pulling the detent ring pin off the mast or not  Bottom

• Have a new Getaway and have been saiing with the detent pin in the mast casting. However, 1/2 the time it comes out bent and is difficult to remove and has to be replaced. Do others pull the pin once the mast is stepped?
    Thanks,
    Terry
  • Terry,

Contrary to my experience w/ other boats, the Getaway retains the pin while sailing. Sorry I steered you wrong on the other forum!! Your question got me thinking, so I went searching. Here's a link to the manual:
    http://www.hobie-cat.net/download/manuels/getaway_gb.pdf

The reference is on page 9, step 2.

I still don't know why yours would have bent....

Tim

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Hey Tim,
    Thanks for the information. I think I've read the manual 7 times but never saw the note to retaining the detent pin. Will read it for the 8th time. All I can think of, is that I must be bending the pin when I step the mast. I'm using my trailer winch with a wire attached to the mast above the forestay. I must be putting too much pressure on it or I'm rotating the mast too soon. Looks like I need to do some heavy lifting.
    Best regards,
    Terry
  • Terry,
    That's the same setup as on all the Nacra boats. (ball on a post)
    Like you I use a winch on the trailer and attach it to a trap wire. My crew operates the winch while I am on the tramp keeping the mast rotated. If you don't keep the mast rotated from start to finish, you risk bending the pin or worse, bending the post or breaking the mast base. I don't even use a pin and haven't for the 20 years I have sailed Nacra boats. Like you I bent several pins when I started and then realized the pressure on the winch keeps the mast on the ball.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I have not sailed the Getaway, but looking at the manual, it is as Ron says, ball-on-post. I have a couple of vintage Nacras, same idea.
    This photo shows why you bend the rod if you don't rotate the mast.
    You can see that the base of mast will "lock" the ball if not rotated. The mast becomes a 30' lever, & the DS is going to bend.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76386&g2_serialNumber=6
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80849&g2_serialNumber=6

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I demasted my old n5.0 with the pin on and it was pretty ugly, mast base popped out of the mast, the ball and rod broke, etc. It's a good reason for me take it out, and i don't know any reason to keep it in other than having it when you need it. For the latter i always keep it in on the inspection port, so it's not a problem.
  • Remove it unless the manual states otherwise. On the Nacras there is no benefit to leaving it in, just extra damage if you happen to demast.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.