Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another newbee  Bottom

• Well not totally new but out long enough to consider myself dangerous!
    Haven’t sailed in 25 years, was planning on purchasing a 27 ft mono hull in the next couple of years for a weekend retreat. Just ran into a deal on an 81, H18 that I just could not pass up. In decent shape, hulls still shiny, no cracks, repaired delimitation holding well, sails are in great shape, tramps for boat and wings ok but I will replace along with all the lines for my own peace of mind. Daggers, rudders and trailer are all in good shape as well. Not looking to race only to enjoy time on the water with wife, kids/grandkids.
    We live in the desert of southern Ca. around Palm Springs so the entire west coast of southern Ca. is only a few hours away; and we don’t mind the drive. Big Bear Lake is even closer.
    Since my wife and I have been off the water with sails for so long we are looking for lessons. We would prefer to take them on our own cat so someone smarter than I could point out issues I may have overlooked. If there is anyone who has a contact in the surrounding areas we would appreciate the contact information.
    Enjoying what I have read so far, Thanks.

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --
  • $350 for the season to put your cat on the beach here on Big Bear. Plus $120 for lake permit & you'll need 6 pcs 4x8 plastic lattice to slide boat up on beach. A cat box is handy to store sails,beach chairs & umbrella. Winds are 8-15 from the west most every day til Fall when Santa Anas come in from the east. Dave, Paul or myself are available to set you right and we race every weekend using existing water testing marks. Pete 909-800-5237
  • Thanks Pete I will be in touch very soon. Bob

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --
  • You will be in good hands Bob. That also sounds like a deal for beach storage.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Big Bear is a great lake to sail! You will love it! icon_biggrin

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • PS. Sorry I haven't been around much Pete. Life's in overdrive right now. Keeping an eye on the fire in my backyard too. I aim to get back on the lake soon though. Miss seeing you guys!
    icon_wink

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • Bob you got a heck of a deal! Saw that one advertised and thought to myself someone is going to score! If I didn't already have a Hobie or I could hide it from my wife....

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • Ron and Pete thanks guys. Pete it was great talking to you today.
    Ron I was just in the right place at the right time I guess. The guys who sold it was just tired of the process. I think I got a great deal from a nice guy. The boat seems to be as good as the pictures showed. Of course I won't really know what I have until someone else who knows gets to check it out. It will be a few weeks in our busy lives before we can get up to show it to you guys but we are excited about meeting you all. Bob

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --
  • Sounds great Bob! I like to just cruise around the lake but I actually raced BB with my daughter last year. Had a blast! Wasn't what you think, high tension action, but more of a laidback have fun with friends kind of atmosphere. My cat is currently in the shop having the bottoms re-glassed and every little divot & chip repaired (that's just the way I am) so will be a while before I get back in the water with it but I'm jonesing to get back in asap! Look forward to sailing with y'all soon!

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • Bob,
    If you are thinking of taking lessons, check out the Mission Bay Aquatic Center in San Diego...They offer weekend classes and weekday classes. I am pretty sure you will have to wait until fall, but it was a great way to get familiar with sailing a cat.

Here is the link: http://www.mbaquaticcenter.com/

I took their classes and had a blast. I know currently rent their H16s...which is a perk after completing their courses. One day I will buy my own H16.

Congrats on the new boat!

Rob

Edited by Bellschedule on Jul 29, 2015 - 07:42 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.