Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1st Run!  Bottom

• First trip out on our new to us 1980, H18. Now since I have not sailed in 25 yrs I was a little concerned. We set the boat up in less than record time, but got it on the water. 1st pass out boom tackle just wasn’t quite right; set up by previous owner but I could not see the problem. On the way back in boat handled like I was dragging an anchor. 1st rule don’t put the boat in the water without the plugs in the pontoons! Luckily we did not sink it. Drained water life is good, still concerned with boom tackle.

Other cats on the beach so asked for help. Missing shackle from tackle to traveler. Seeing post on this form I had purchased an assortment of hardware; had on in the kit. Now we’re sailing!

Well I am happy to report I can still sail! Need to adjust the release on the rudders, and better shock cord on the dagger boards; had a few hard landings. Came close to rolling once but remembered to steer into the roll and saved it. Going to take a bit to get use to sitting on the wings, that really changes things.

As I was sailing with my daughter and grandson on day two she said it,”best $600 you have spent dad”!

Thanks for helping this newbie get the boat on the water, and thanks to whoever it was at Mission Bay San Diego this past weekend for the help with the rigging!

Question: Is there a right or wrong tension on the rudders, or is it a matter of preference?

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --
  • Quote1st rule don’t put the boat in the water without the plugs in the pontoons!

Ha Ha...there are very few people who can honestly claim they have never done that.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • bobflesh
    Question: Is there a right or wrong tension on the rudders, or is it a matter of preference?

Glad you got on the water! You have a great place to sail.

The rudder kickup is not an exact science, especially with the old style (pre-1987) rudder castings that have the metal cams. If that is what you have then be glad if they kick up at all, they can become worn and stuck. With the boat on the trailer or sterns lifted by beach wheels you can lock down the rudders and pull back on the end of the rudder to "feel" how much pressure it takes to kick them up.

If you haven't already I would remove, clean, and lube (white lithium grease works great) the plastic tension adjustment screw and spring in the castings to make sure it is adjustable. If they are clean and lubed you should be able to turn the plastic plug/screw with a large flat screwdriver, although you may have to increase the size of the slot in the plastic to get enough grip.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • bobfleshAs I was sailing with my daughter and grandson on day two she said it,”best $600 you have spent dad”!

Best reason to go sailing ever.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • [quote=DamonLinkous]
    bobflesh
    If you haven't already I would remove, clean, and lube (white lithium grease works great) the plastic tension adjustment screw and spring in the castings to make sure it is adjustable. If they are clean and lubed you should be able to turn the plastic plug/screw with a large flat screwdriver, although you may have to increase the size of the slot in the plastic to get enough grip.

They did not kick up at all and were very difficult to lock in. I have not yet serviced them but will follow your instructions before I take it out again. Thank you

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --
  • Best reason to go sailing ever.[/quote]

You bet!

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --
  • Not sure if I am reading your post correctly, but it sounds like you want to sail in and have your rudders release.
    I am not sure how most people do it, but myself and the others that I sail with release our rudders just before
    we come into shore. Sticking rudders is a good way to tear your transoms off. Glad to hear that you did get
    out and had a good time.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • pknapp66Not sure if I am reading your post correctly, but it sounds like you want to sail in and have your rudders release.

It does sound that way but no. I am releasing them prior to pulling up to shore. I did; however, have a difficult time releasing them am I am not a small guy. I found on my sail this weekend I had to pull them loose way in advance or risk not releasing them in time.

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --
  • bobfleshI found on my sail this weekend I had to pull them loose way in advance or risk not releasing them in time.

Unfortunately that is normal with the pre-1987 castings on the Hobie 18 after they are 30-plus years old. The metal cam gets messed up and no way to really fix it although some have tried.

Either be very careful coming in through the surf or upgrade to the newer castings.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=10836

or end up with this
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27559&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I have had pretty good luck with the earlier castings on both of my 18's. When I acquired each one I spent
    some time gently using a file to clean up any rough spots on the cams. I also found that smearing a bit of
    waterproof grease on cams makes them release easier.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • pknapp66I spent
    some time gently using a file to clean up any rough spots on the cams. I also found that smearing a bit of
    waterproof grease on cams makes them release easier.

I was thinking of polishing the bearing surfaces along with lithium grease. Sounds like the same idea. I am in industrial maintenance so I have access to things that allow me to do this easily.

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.