Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How Much Cat Should I Be Able to Handle?  Bottom

• Hello Beachcats.com,

This is my first post. I have a little experience sailing monohulls and last fall I saw a 1983 H16 on craigslist and had to say yes. I have enjoyed sailing her several times but I'm thinking that once I learn to sail her I will want something larger. I would like to be able to take one or two friends sailing without bogging her down too much but I'm 230 pounds and 6'5" (104kg, 195.5cm) and some of my friends are bigger than I am. However, I still want a boat I can have fun soloing. I will be sailing inland reservoirs (I live in Nebraska) and expect to be able to save about $5000. It can get very windy here in the great plains but there are many light wind days as well.

I'm mostly interested in recreational sailing for now. I do like going fast but I don't expect racing to be an option in my area. The Nacra 5.2, 5.5 sl, 570 and 5.8 all appeal to me, they seem more buoyant and stable. Some of them do without daggerboards or booms which sounds nice, less stuff to break or worry about.

It seems like my extra height would mean extra leverage that would be useful on the wire and for righting the boat, is this true?

How big can I go without taking all the fun out of soloing? I'd hate to miss out on good wind for lack of crew and I don't know if I'll be able to store and maintain two boats.

Thanks in advance,

Rubberstuntbaby

Edited by rubberstuntbaby on May 12, 2015 - 06:41 PM.
  • You are a great size to single hand an 18 foot cat, or the metric equivalent. Hobie, NACRA, Prindle = see what you can find in your area.
    Yes, your height will help hold the cat down while on trapeze.
    With a couple years good experience, you could move up to a 20 or 21.
    There are a few guys here that do that, but you may not want to.
    There are killer fast new designs in the 17 to 18 foot range.
    Spinnakers, foils, super light materials.
    The world is your oyster.
    Sail every day!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thanks, that's good to know. I don't think I will be able to afford a foiler or a carbon fiber boat but I can look forward to something bigger and better. I think the Nacra 570 sounds like the best next step if I can find a used one for sale, when I get the money.

Rubberstuntbaby
  • Hobie 20's are going for cheap now.... $2000 - $5000 depending on year/condition/sails. I went to one after my 16 and solo it under 10mph @ 200#. with large and/or multiple crew i've had it out in 25mph with no issues and righted it easily when i've goofed. You might be able to find a nice Prindle 18? - no daggerboards, very big buoyant hulls, possibly a good Hobie 18 - If you want to try a bigger boat without getting too expensive. Modern racing boats have a lot more ( expensive ) parts and more fragile hulls that don't like to ever be pulled up on a beach or touch a rock.
    My $.02

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • All good advice above. You've got a classic trade off in wanting both a boat that can handle two or three biggish crew, and still be used for solo sailing. A twenty footer would be best for crew weight over 500 lbs, but it's going to be too much for you to handle alone when it's over 10 or 12 kts of breeze. An 18 will tolerate a couple of big guys, and be easier to pilot on your own, Wings would increase your wind range solo, Hobie 18 Magnums and SXs are moderately common, and affordable. Another strategy could be a 20 with a reefable mainsail, or a smaller high wind main(custom built, cut down main, main from a smaller boat adapted).

A 20 might be a lot to handle alone if you have to muscle it around, or raise/lower the mast to go sailing. Less of an issue if the boats assembled on a beach or lift.

Soloing either and 18 or 20 in powered up conditions will require significant skill, and it's doubtful that you could right either solo unless you have a sophisticated righting system(solo right, righting pole, Super Cat shroud extender system). So be conservative til you develop those skills, and be vigilant about getting caught out in building conditions. I solo a Supercat 20, and even an ARC22 in light air, so it certainly can be done, with quick responses and the understanding that things occasionally go wrong.

Dave

Edited by davefarmer on May 13, 2015 - 08:34 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.