Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 Wings  Bottom

• Are there any "watch outs" or other reasons why anyone would not install a set of wings on a Hobie 18?
  • High Hull Flying can result in burying a wing and then you can fly... lots of intense sailing can lead to wing failure... and they cost money!

Be nice to your wings, and you can have a lot of fun with them.
  • They add stress to the hulls at the connection points. I had cracking where the rear crossbar attaches to the hull. They make reinforcement plates you should add. Being out on the wire standing on the wing takes getting used to. But I love it. However if you loose your footing or get tossed forward there is a dropoff before you get to the hulls, which can hurt.

When trailering you can make supports to hold them, so no real additional setup time added. They do add weight, so in light air it will slow you down.

Edited by smfinley on Apr 24, 2015 - 07:58 PM.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • If you're interested in one design racing, you will need to take them off.

If you surf sail, they can get in the way when launching.

sm
  • As long as the wings are easy to take off when you need to (racing/big surf) there's no down side. If your wife/GF wants to sail with you the wings are a must IMHO. Soloing the boat is a breeze with wings too, very comfy for long hours or distance either sitting on or using the wing seat as a back rest. Makes for a drier ride when the water is chilly or you just dont feel like sailing with a soggy ass.
    They're so nice infact I installed Magnum wings on my 20. Talk about huge leg room, on liight to med air when yoiu and crew can still sit on opposite sides, the boat is now about 12' wide.
    In heavy air around 20mph and up, I go out with two crew sitting on the wing and me at rear stern with wing backrest. Im sure its very similar on an 18. VERY stable and can get the windward hull up several feet before the wings touch water. The only time i would Not install wings would be if they're over $1200 to buy not in perfect condition. At $600 - $800 you cant go wrong. if for some reason you hate the wings, you'll sell them quick at those prices.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Catamarans with wings are the most comfortable boats to sails. I have be sailing with wings since '89 and would only upgrade to a new boat that offer wings....

Come on you F18 manufactures, build a boat for us old timers who like comfort and speed. icon_wink Than I will enlarge my current fleet of boats. icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.