Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Massive Server Move (GEEK ALERT)  Bottom

• After a couple of days of working on all the issues that come with moving a site the size of TheBeachcats.com to a new server I'm hoping the worst is over. Moving TheBeachcats.com seems to have gone well but consider that the site runs three MySql databases, has over 20 GB of files and images, and is over 12 years old.

The new server is a HUGE upgrade because I've been putting off doing this for far too long, so for the nerds out here, the specs on the old vs. new server.

OLD SERVER
    4 GB, 256 GB Sata drive,
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3430 @ 2.40GHz
    (4 cores 4 total threads)

NEW SERVER
    64 GB DDR4 Ram, 480 GB SSD +2 TB Sata
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    (4 cores 8 total threads)

Of course I won't realize the full power until I am able to update the code of the site itself, but throwing this kind of power at it should help.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon, thanks for the upgrade.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Yeah, thanks Damon! Most of us are fairly oblivious to all that has to come together and be maintained, for us to have this informative, easy to use, and civil forum. We bow to thee, O' Great One!

Dave
  • I think the site seems a little snappier, but hard for me to judge after staring at it for two days straight!

Will know better what still needs to be tweaked when traffic is higher during the week.

Because of changing the IP address of the server some members might still be seeing the site on the old server until DNS propogates to them. Some ISP's are really bad about not clearing caches in a timely manner. Also if someone visits the site a lot their local browser/OS might get "stuck" on the old IP. (in which case they wouldn't be seeing this, or any new content.) icon_frown

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • "O' Great One!"

Coming in loud and clear although there is an occasional echo.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • It is faster, which is saying a lot for a web server. Are you running the MySQL instances in a virtual environment?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.