Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beech Wheels- Just how deep sand is the limit  Bottom

• Ok, there's hard pack sand and there's loose sand 8" deep. Considering the weight of Hobie 18, how difficult is it to pull the boat by yourself with beech wheels through 8" of loose sand 60' to the parking lot. If possible at all solo. 10 degree incline from water to top of asphalt.

Edited by goodsailing on Apr 01, 2015 - 06:25 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • With the pneumatic wheels, the depth of the sand doesn't really make much of a difference. They tend to ride on top of the sand. Lugging a H18 up a 10 degree incline in sand is possible, but it's going to be a workout. If you have plastic wheels.... either be religious at the gym or buy pneumatics.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • The incline will be the killer as stated above. But, 60 feet is not a far distance so just make multiple trips if needed. If you pull the mainsail, boom, blocks, and daggerboards off and carry them separately, it will make things easier. You can even drop the mast and carry that separately of you want to.

sm
  • how wide is the area?
    i drag my 550lb boat up the beach every now and again (when no none is around to help)

I don't pull the boat straight up the incline - I take very wide traverses across the beach at a very shallow angle
  • Quotehow wide is the area?

40 ft

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteIf you pull the mainsail, boom, blocks, and daggerboards off and carry them separately, it will make things easier. You can even drop the mast and carry that separately of you want to.

Yep, carry all your boat parts down to the water, assemble the boat, go sail, come back, dissemble the boat and carry all the pieces back to the car.... yikes. icon_frown

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteYep, carry all your boat parts down to the water, assemble the boat, go sail, come back, dissemble the boat and carry all the pieces back to the car.... yikes.

nope, down the hill is easy, load your boat up and carefully roll it (on wheels) or back your trailer in and get the cat wet.

you only have to hike the sails and boards to the car IF you can't roll the boat back up the hill solo
  • Understood. Sure downhill roll as much as possible, same up hill. Then there's attaching a line to the truck to the boat for uphill assist. Of course then you'll need someone driving and someone holding the boat, unless you just want to drag the boat unattended if solo. Probably not advisable as solo operation, unless you had winch with long enough on and off switch for winching operation. Not buying a winch.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I go about 50 yards to the water in bottomless sand. Getting there is no problem solo as it is slightly downhill. Getting back, not so much fun. I do the following when I'm by myself
    1. there is almost always someone who would help out during the summer.
    2. off season if no one is around I go as far as I can then take a couple light weight trips or drink of beer while i recover, then do it again.
    3. I've used my mainsheet and righting line to help me out one time when I had a steeper hill. There was more dragging than I wanted but I was dead tired and it worked.
    4. drop the mast on the beach. 80+ pounds saved and lower the CG by a lot.

What works the best is asking for a hand, a lot of people want to know more about what we are up to so it usually isn't hard to solicit a helping hand.
    And the soft tires are WAY better in the "deep", loose sand. The hard ones work great in grass and hard pack.

Have fun!

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.