Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First Cat !!  Bottom

• Big day tomorrow. i take delivery of an ARC (supercat) 17. Being driven down here to Florida by the folks at Aquarius sail. Yes I'm excited.

Will be doing lots of sailing on local lakes but I'm curious if anybody has information on beach launch at Ormond Beach, Fl. That is about 90 minutes from me and I'd really like to do some ocean sailing as i have been advised inland lake winds are "unpredictable".

I am getting Cat tracks so beach launch not an issue just wondering about best area to launch. St. Augustine is another option as they both allow on beach vehicle access.

Anybody from those areas interested in a sail let me know thanks.
  • Congratulations drjay9051 !

I remember your decision thread from back in June
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…nc=viewtopic&topic=15073

What pushed you to the ARK 17? What options did you get? Spinnaker?

How did the price compare with your other choices?

Be sure and share pictures when you get it setup, I've never seen a brand new one.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • please share photos PLEASE lol
    ive got my 82' Supercat 17 here in Texas and can tell you that yours has definitely has some good blood lines interested in all the upgrades they've done over the years
  • DamonLinkousCongratulations drjay9051 !

I remember your decision thread from back in June
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…nc=viewtopic&topic=15073

What pushed you to the ARK 17? What options did you get? Spinnaker?

How did the price compare with your other choices?

Be sure and share pictures when you get it setup, I've never seen a brand new one.

Well, Damon

I was very close to purchase of a Nacra 500. New boat out of Key Sailing in Panhandle.

Unfortunately I called three times and never got a return call about final price etc. YMMV

Looked at Prindle 18 but only older boats available.

Considered Hobie Getaway and 16.

In the end I was sold on Aquarius as I had heard the quality was top notch and the rigging was not too complicated.

Also like the leading edge of the hulls. i just was not a fan of the banana shape of the H16. Yes easy to run up on beach but downside such as pitchpole was also considered.

Price wise about 3K more than Nacra 500 and 6k more than H16, however the construction of the ARC is first class. It's all spelled out on their website.

I'm sure I'd have been happy with any cat but I decided to treat myself and go first class.

I got the ARC with the self tacking jib. Read lots of pluses and minuses.

In the end I'm a happy camper.

Pics to follow for sure !!

Oh yes, The ARC is not mass produced so it's been about 5 months wait. On the one hand i missed a bit of sailing but on the other I'm getting a first class cat.

I believe the boats typically come together faster than mine but there were some issues at Aquarius which slowed things a bit.

Frustrating, sure. Worth the wait? I'll know tomorrow morning !!

Edited by drjay9051 on Dec 05, 2014 - 05:36 PM.
  • Let's see that thing!

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • I'll try to take some pictures this evening if it's still light out when I get home if not pictures will be up by Friday for sure I spent a few hours with Tom Haberman learning how to rig but still some confusion on my part especially with some running the down haul linefor the jib as well as raising the jib with the zipper mechanism Tom assured me I could call him anytime but it's going to be an interesting experice as I figure this puppy out I did get the gin pole supplied by Aquarius for stepping the mast but I know the first time I do it I have a friend standing by I'm a little lost on how to tighten the forestay and the sideways once the mast is up without having it all come crashing down but I'm sure after a phone call to Tom I'll be more comfortable
  • Tom is excellent with advice for sure. He's walked me through 3 SC rebuilds!

I've got a SC17 with a self tacking jib if you need any help and can't catch Tom. I bought my self tacking set up from himSend me a pm if you need anything. Here's a pic of mine. I've got a new square top main on the way!!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/Lakewateree/sc17/e4acd8beead018dcb1372a9b43a0408d.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/Lakewateree/sc17/8a76b67c3a76f3b968e460cd104ba6f9.jpg

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • thank you Mac I think you had emailed me a copy of the owners manual a while back as well as a parts manual I asked Tom for recent manual and believe it or not they don't have one I guess be good so you don't mass-produce the Ark they just haven't made a new manual my main concern is raising the jib with that zipper type of system which I'm completely lost on as well as bringing the down hole for the jib through those cleats and the blocks which Tom and demonstrated to me twice and I failed to take notes or a video so I'm going to have to call him about that
    my other big question is I have the gin pole from Aquarius and Tom demonstrated raising the mast what I'm unclear on is if I raised it solo how do I tighten the forestay to the proper tension without letting go and dropping the mast and I suppose the same question for the shrouds do i tie off the trapeze line to the trampoline if I wanted to tighten a side stay I'm just not sure how one accomplishes this if you're going out solo have you ever had to deal with these issues
  • I've got a photo series of the Ginpole set up froma friends SC20, should be the same deal. PM me your email address and I'll forward it to you. Might be able to help you on the other stuff. I'm going to where my 17 is rigged this weeknd

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • do your side stays have the righting asist pieces on them ive used those to help with tensioning
  • super17redlinedo your side stays have the righting asist pieces on them ive used those to help with tensioning

Yes has the righting system which "unfolds) or elongates
  • Keep them elongated until your up and ready to tension them that's what's helped with my SUPERCAT and as far as the fore stay are you rigging up on the trailer or on a beach? If on the trailer drop the toungue so you have a forward lean to the mast with the righting assist elongated and you shouldn't have a problem
  • I believe the boats typically come together faster than mine but there were some issues at Aquarius which slowed things a bit.

Yea I ordered a new tiller cross bar a few weeks ago and tom said they had just finished moving or something
  • Personally I would have gone for an Aqua Cat - much faster, better maneuverability, and amazingly reliable in heavy air. It also has a really cool and sleek look. The rest are just kitty cats!
  • QuotePersonally I would have gone for an Aqua Cat

This must be a joke.

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • What didn't you like about the non-banana shaped Hobies? :-p

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • rondogWhat didn't you like about the non-banana shaped Hobies? :-p

well the wild cat is too much boat for me as a beginner and I wanted to keep away from the rotomolded holes so I opted to not consider the wave or the getaway I also wanted a boat in excellent / new shape and after lots of reading I was pretty much between the Nacra or the arc 17 in the end I went with the arc since I never got a return a phone call from key sailing about the nacra 500 I was ready to buy.
  • aquacatthunderPersonally I would have gone for an Aqua Cat - much faster, better maneuverability, and amazingly reliable in heavy air. It also has a really cool and sleek look. The rest are just kitty cats!

Texas Christian University people have lost their minds after getting snubbed from the college football playoff. icon_lol

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Created an album under beachcat Beauty. Title is ARC 17. Poor photos and yes I know the weight is too far aft, thank you.

Will try to post better pics inc. close ups tomorrow

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.