Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Are there still enough parts out there for Prindle 18-2?  Bottom

• If I get a P18-2 will I have problems with getting parts?
  • Not likely. There are still lots of used and new parts available from several sources. Most things of the parts are common to many boats except for the rudders and castings. The rest can be fabricated or substituted fairly easily. Lots of manufacturers make sails and tramps for the boat.

Edited by Wolfman on Oct 11, 2014 - 09:46 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I usually have rudders & rudder castings for Prindles. Check classifieds. Have used tramps for P-16 & P-18. New ones from SLO. Have Harkens 7:1. Wires from Murrays. Hulls can be easily fixed. Sails are the biggest investment, but if you truly love the game, check Whirlwinds site & order a new sail as Coastrat did recently giving him new bragging rights! You should be comfortable investing $2000-2500 which is only 10% of the cost of a new boat. These boats will last 35-50 years with a little care; try playing tennis with a 35 year old wood racket. Pete
  • Damon there really needs to be a like option on this website. Thanks Pete nicely put.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10563010_740522285995809_701808242015038563_n.jpg?oh=e03c29af20b1e84e53fcad9e505d34e7&oe=54B1F198

an 18-2 with new/modern sails would be wicked fast! no problems getting parts, well built/engineered boats!

this 37 year old beauty is a handful!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I picked up an 18-2 this summer. I also own a Prindle 18. Like Pete said, parts are readily available at the places he listed. I completely rebuilt the P18. Parts were very easy to find. The key parts are the hulls, mast and beams, although beams can be had fairly reasonably as well, used. Masts can be tough and sometimes hulls are not worth the effort if they have huge soft spots. Both of my boats are just awesome but the 18-2 is truly a special boat. That thing just rips and it is super maneuverable. The centerboard allows you to sail in areas you would never dare with a daggerboard design. I cannot say enough about this boat. I just purchased a new jib for her and we will be getting a new main in the winter from Chip. Short money given the years of joy this boat will bring us. The dacron sail is still fine, but the mylar it came with was shot. People are saying too many great things about having new sails. It has to be done :) This boat is worth it.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • Sails are the biggest investment, but if you truly love the game, check Whirlwinds site & order a new sail as Coastrat did recently giving him new bragging rights! You should be comfortable investing $2000-2500 which is only 10% of the cost of a new boat. These boats will last 35-50 years with a little care; try playing tennis with a 35 year old wood racket. Pete
  • with some fixing up and upgrades my P19 cost me $2,500....a fancy newer boat would make me think twice about taking on an island crossing like we did to Catalina a few weeks ago where you might have to land on a rocky beach...:) For that price point you get a lot of performance. I find Prindles and parts on craigslist, this site or Murrays...so for a few years out there should be no major problems finding things...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.