Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Just bought a used Hobie Getaway in Central Florida  Bottom

• After a great trip to Aruba, and remembering the fun I had sailing a friends HC in High School, we bought a used HC Getaway. I would love to crew or get some help in refreshing my skills. I am in Central Florida and am preferring to use the Florida east coast to do most of our sailing but hope to do some gulf sailing, too. I am in my fifties.

I look forward to hearing from the community. Take care. Wahoo
  • I just sent you my email address via private message.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • My dad goes sailing on eagle lake in central Florida occasionally, he also has a getaway. I am in Tampa so I mostly sail out of Dunedin causeway. I would recommend the west coast if you are no confident with your boat yet, that way you can stay in the intercoastal and be much safer. Also, a good tip that may save you a lot of trouble if you plan on soloing the getaway. Bring a bucket, if it is windy fill each hull with 6-10 gallons of water(the storage cooler has a port in it to make this easy). This will make the boat more stable and less prone to flipping over. The getaway is very bouyant and the hulls sit very high in the water. If you accidentally jibe in the getaway without ballast you are going swimming, the extra weight might save you some trouble.

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • WahooWolfeAfter a great trip to Aruba, and remembering the fun I had sailing a friends HC in High School, we bought a used HC Getaway.

That's great, welcome to beachcat sailing, you live in an area with a lot of choices.

I'm not crazy about the idea of pouring water into the hulls, it's kind of the job of the hulls to keep water out. icon_biggrin

Main problem is that adding 80 pounds to each hull wouldn't stop all capsizing, flipping is part of beachcat sailing, and when you do go over that extra 80 pounds of leverage will press the boat down on it's side making it much more difficult to right.

The Getaway is already a very stable platform compared to racier models, but don't let that fool you, the boat is still plenty fast and perfectly capable of flying a hull and exciting sailing. Just take it easy to start and work your way up to more demanding conditions, watch the weather carefully.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.