Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GoPro 3+ versus 4+ and ideas for mounting  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Hello Mike,

First, welcome to this beach cat forum, as a new cat sailor you can find lots of
    information and help overhere. Also, the people at this forum tend to be friendly.

As for your question, its stupidly simple.
    I taped my paddle to the boom with pvc-tape and let it stick out for almost
    2 feet. Then attached my Garmin foretrex 201 to the end of the boom with
    a tie-wrap.
    Used a standard Gopro tube-mount ( believe it was for cyclists ) to attach
    it to the paddle.
    Next was sorting out the focus-point of the Gopro H1, so the
    digits on the Garmin were clearly displayed. Just a matter of trial and error with
    a laptop nearby. No sailing required, just did it on the beach.
    Record and play it back on the laptop.
    As for the lanyard, I didn't use the standard strap from Gopro, Took a thin
    dyneema line, put it through the camera and through a drilled hole in my paddle.
    Drilled that hole at the back of the camera-mount, to keep it clear from the lens.

Hope this helps, André

meonshore-mikeHi Andre,

Many thanks for your post and information.

Having just bought myself a cat, I have been researching GoPro mounting ideas and hit this thread.

I notice you have a Garmin in-front of your GoPro to give the speed - which was a great idea, and one I intend to replicate !!.

Can you tell me please - did you use any special attachments on that to secure it - or have you just used the strap it came with ? and where was your goPro mounted to get that view with Garmin in the foreground .... many thanks.

Tks - Mike.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • André

Ah thank you for the rapid and detailed response. I'm enjoying reading lots of the posts and looking forward to contributing where I can.

That all makes sense, and in fact I re-watched your video again and could see the paddle from a rear facing view particularly as your crew righted a capsize.

I'm without a boom as I'm starting with a Dart 16 and so I'll need to work this out slightly differently but it will certainly move me along the journey !

Thanks again
    Mike
  • Just an idea,
    Stick a aluminium tube in the lowest batten pocket...
    meonshore-mikeAndré

Ah thank you for the rapid and detailed response. I'm enjoying reading lots of the posts and looking forward to contributing where I can.

That all makes sense, and in fact I re-watched your video again and could see the paddle from a rear facing view particularly as your crew righted a capsize.

I'm without a boom as I'm starting with a Dart 16 and so I'll need to work this out slightly differently but it will certainly move me along the journey !

Thanks again
    Mike

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Thats a great suggestion - thank you.

Will try that.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.