Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anyone go night sailing in the Supermoon?  Bottom

• We took the beast out last night, from 2100-2300.
    Wind was a bit light, maxed at 7 kts, but it was warm, & the moon extremely bright.
    Hoisted the kite for about 5 miles. One thing was re-affirmed, you have no colour vision at night. Every line looks exactly the same, & you sail by feel, the telltales are invisible.
    We were keen enough to have waterproof flashlights, but forgot them on the dock. We were smart enough to use cooler holders that snap to the shroud.
    Not sure I'd want to do it in 20kts, but it was fun for cruising.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I was out Saturday after dark, moon came up early, well before dark and was pretty impressive.

Note: Being out after dark was not the plan, just one of those "stayed out on the lake a little too long and the wind died" days. At least I didn't have to paddle back this time.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • i would never fly a spin at night
    to many things can go wrong
    heck i don't even take out the jib at night
    QuoteHoisted the kite for about 5 miles.
  • Didn't make it this time, but I have gone night sailing in light air, 3 to 4 kts, and had a great time. Big smooth lake, very quiet. Had a flashlight on the bow, with red/green aft lights. Three people lying on the tramp looking at the stars. Most memorable part of the trip.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 11, 2014 - 03:20 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Lunatic Fringe was fully rigged, sitting on the lift, begging to be set free! Slid her in at 10 pm, and motored out to an unbelievably steady ten knots out of the southwest, enough to trap upwind and down. Absolutely spectacular moonlight shimmering across the water, and air temps still in the seventies, we only get one or two shots at a full moon cruise per summer in NW Montana, so I was eyeing this weekend closely. With wind this steady, I could run the chute solo and keep the windward hull dry for miles at a time. Wrapped her up just before midnight with a huge grin, an experience granted to few!

Dave
  • we had a guy spend 4 hours on his capsized cat, claims he could hear the sharks swimming all around (this is right where a bull shark killed a dolphin they just released)

this is one reason why I wouldn't pop a chute out at night, esp solo
  • MN3we had a guy spend 4 hours on his capsized cat, claims he could hear the sharks swimming all around (this is right where a bull shark killed a dolphin they just released)

Clearly you have a point.
    Dave and I were sailing inland.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    MN3we had a guy spend 4 hours on his capsized cat, claims he could hear the sharks swimming all around (this is right where a bull shark killed a dolphin they just released)

Even if he WAS solo , and sailing in the ocean ; don't Ya think this would be
    a Sad world, if everyone in it , ( thought and acted the SAME) ?

Bille
  • of course it would ("sad").
    I am not trying to get anyone to act or think like me (that would be a &@$#ed up place)

Just trying to give examples of why it's not a good idea around here, and what some of the possible outcomes could be.. ya know, share some knowledge

bille
    klozhald
    MN3we had a guy spend 4 hours on his capsized cat, claims he could hear the sharks swimming all around (this is right where a bull shark killed a dolphin they just released)

Even if he WAS solo , and sailing in the ocean ; don't Ya think this would be
    a Sad world, if everyone in it , ( thought and acted the SAME) ?

Bille
  • btw - it has been my experience that it takes 30-45 min without any powered light for eyes to fully adjust and maximize your night vision. any lights reduces your night vision

I DONT mean a red/green light UNDER the bows but if that light is visible to the naked eye, it will effect / reduce your night vision.

US Coastguard regs don't require nav lights on vessels under 7 meters - but requires a torch at the ready

What i do is wear a headlamp turned upside down so it points up on my sails, but never shows in my eyes (this way others can see me and i don't lose any of my night vision.

"A sailing vessel of less than 23 feet (7 meters) in length shall, if practicable, exhibit lights as shown . (Figures 3 or 4 .) If it does not, it shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern (flashlight) showing white light that shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent
    collision .

QuoteWe were keen enough to have waterproof flashlights, but forgot them on the dock. We were smart enough to use cooler holders that snap to the shroud.
    Not sure I'd want to do it in 20kts, but it was fun for cruising
  • I actually had the idea of using LED headlamps from a previous post of yours,(I think it was that thread that got us thinking about a night sail) but of course they were at the other house.
    We were going to tape some LED flashlights to the shrouds, but...
    There were no other boats in sight, & the wind would blow us back into home bay, so we didn't worry to much about anything going wrong, or being seen.
    You are right about the time it takes for full night adaption, though red light does not affect night vision, some of the old tech birds I used to fly had all kinds of red lights for night work.
    The best part of the sail was with the spin up, sifting along under the full moon...no sharks here either.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • MN3of course it would ("sad").
    I am not trying to get anyone to act or think like me (that would be a &@$#ed up place)

Just trying to give examples of why it's not a good idea around here, and what some of the possible outcomes could be.. ya know, share some knowledge

You chose a Very polite way to answer my question .
    I was told that the people on this forum were Quite civil ; now i actually
    Believe it !!

Bille
  • Don't forget the Lock Ness monster is in fresh water...
    Quoteno sharks here either.
  • I have found people on this thread are much less inclined to rip your head off for a miss-step or incorrect info

QuoteYou chose a Very polite way to answer my question .
    I was told that the people on this forum were Quite civil ; now i actually
    Believe it !!

Edited by MN3 on Aug 18, 2014 - 06:27 AM.
  • QuoteWhat i do is wear a headlamp turned upside down so it points up on my sails, but never shows in my eyes (this way others can see me and i don't lose any of my night vision.

Brilliant!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.