Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

MOORING CATS ON MUSHROOM ANCHORS  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• i have a fortress (or 2)
    they are great in muck or sandy bottoms - i doubt they would have any holding power at all in rocky bottoms but don't sail in those conditions

a quick google search says hook style work in rocky bottoms but i would probably do some real research

btw - they do come disassembled, but it's not like your gonna break it down after each use or break it down for easy stowing while sailing.

or you could carry this thing - it should hold:

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/anchor-harbor-st-barts-giant-gustavia-waterfront-popular-tourist-destination-island-barth-saint-barth%C3%A9lemy-85043930.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Aug 15, 2017 - 03:28 PM.
  • I'm going to ditto the endorsement on fortress anchor, however it's important to use a fathom or so of chain. Since the anchor is lightweight aluminum it needs the weight of chain to quickly set the flukes. I think of it in terms of a 2 part system. I used this system on my 36' sailboat for years and swear I always slept sound while on the hook, knowing it can hold super well and reset if boat shifted by wind or current. Best aspect about fortress when it comes to beach cats is it's light weight, lifetime warranty and can be broken down for stow ability. Relatively pricey but you get what you pay for.

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • Hmm... when one has to consider the windage of one's anchor, perhaps the anchor is too large? :p

http://fortressanchors.co…nchors/guardian/assembly
    Looking at their instructions, I think I could pin the crown to the shank permanently, shim the fluke clips for a looser fit on the stock rod, and drill the stock rod for quickpins (the aluminum should be simple to tool). Install would then be sliding the flukes into the crown grooves; inserting the stock rod through one fluke clip, through the crown, and through the other fluke clip; and then pinning the stock rod in place. May have to eyeball one in person to see for sure... I have a large 1.5x5'-ish mesh bag cross-tramp that could swallow an anchor flat -- there's already 1/2" closed cell foam on the bottom of the bag, I'd probably want to do something similar across the top to keep my crew happy.

One more good link: https://www.thebeachcats.…pic/topic/12884/start/20

Edited by randii on Aug 16, 2017 - 12:19 PM.
  • After a few bad experiences I totally discarded mooring my cat. I'm sure next issue would be a new one and I don't want to find out... What I learned:
    - Rope can be cut at bridal connection..
    - Line has to be long enough to pull the anchor horizontally.. (don't forget about tides)..
    - Avoid mast rotation (especially on lakes with short waves..)
  • I picked this thread to update because it had the best anchor information of a few threads I looked at... there's not a lot of value in starting yet-another-thread when this forum has such good backstory/threads.

I'm not really interested in MOORING but I'm definitely interested in ANCHORING for lunches and launches/retrieval, especially when the launch area is crowded and/or when I'm single-handing. I think short-term on the hook should be OK; even if it is dragging, it should help slow the drift. Still, this thread has good info about mooring AND anchoring.

Some of the spots I launch I can just pull the boat up and go get the trailer, but there's one boat launch where that's just not an option.

Randii (ordered a Guardian today)
  • Another good reason is safety, for instance if the boat drifts away from you with your young crew on board. Water bag doesn't help a lot in that case in my experience. Anchor is on my list now...
  • QuoteAfter a few bad experiences I totally discarded mooring my cat.

really depends on location and weather

I am lucky and sail mostly in sandy/mucky 5-15' of clear salt water
    we usually foot plant our anchors on the lea of some sandy island or sandbar when we stop to take a break and be social - really no chain needed, and short rode will work - more rode is needed if we park in the gulf waves

I have camped overnight on islands, and had my anchor "tripped" by another catamran (that had just flipped in a wind change) - my alum anchor did not catch (i think it had about 20' of rode out and had some chain) but it was moving to fast and the anchor probably glided just above the bottom (we had a pontoon boat with us and chased down my cat at 5am)

so it depends on your location, water level, type of bottom - but typically there is some answer to anchor/moor as needed

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.