Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hank on jib  Bottom

• My zipper luff jib on my Supercat 19X will need to be replaced soon. This had me thinking on why the majority of cat jibs have the zipper luff. The boats I sail (other than my cat) all use hank on jibs. For solo sailing, using the zipper luff seams to take additional time and using at the beach causes sand/salt to get in the zipper. With hanks I can then move the jib halyard to a cleat on the mast for faster raising and dowsing.

Any reasons not to?

-DLG
  • I don't know the reason but I do cleat the halyard at the mast. My old N5.0 had jib hanks and it wasn't really easier to dose. If you mean to be able to lower the jib and keep it there for lunch or overnight, then yes, it allows that, but you need to wrap it around with the sheet or something, it's not that clean. Much better to sew batten pockets parallel to the leech and roll the jib around the forestay. No need of a furler. You may get a cover for further protection, still easier than to take it down and wrap it around.
  • my guess is that hanks are a bit risky on a furling jib (can come off when furled)
    so if your not furling, prob not a big deal
  • I have the self-tacking non furling setup. I was just imagining pinning the tack, hanking the jib on and having the clew tight to keep the jib out of the water. Then I can raise whenever and drop if needed, just like on a bigger boat. Probably use soft-shackle type hanks as well. I currently have an older mylar jib, was planning on choosing dacron when i order a new one.
  • call - aquarius i bet they have an opinion with lots to base it on
    http://aquarius-sail.com/main/contact_us.html

do you have a front tramp?
  • No, but that on the list of wants. The triangle front tramp looks ideal for this. Wanted to ask generally here first, Ive bothered Tom at aquarius a bunch. Those guys are awesome, you call and get the owner on the 2nd ring and parts shipped out same day.
  • jdlgI have the self-tacking non furling setup. I was just imagining pinning the tack, hanking the jib on and having the clew tight to keep the jib out of the water. Then I can raise whenever and drop if needed, just like on a bigger boat. Probably use soft-shackle type hanks as well. I currently have an older mylar jib, was planning on choosing dacron when i order a new one.

I understand. I can't remember details but it wasn't that easy and it got wet easily. Maybe I didn't think of tightening the foot, not sure if that will be enough. Furling it manually is really easy anyway, I use a loop with sister clips to attach the sheet blocks, the same loop can be used to attach the furled jib to the forestay. It took me long time to decide to change the batten pockets and I'm very happy I did. You may also add sunbrella strips at the leech and foot and leave the jib up forever.
  • Quotemy guess is that hanks are a bit risky on a furling jib (can come off when furled)
    so if your not furling, prob not a big deal

I have to disagree with that. The biggest class of Cats in the U.K. is the Dart. They use hank on jibs, & they have furlers. My Dart hanks, & furls. I can't see anyway the furled jib could come off, unless something takes the entire boat & destroys it. The hanks fit pretty close to the shroud, you have to rotate each on 90*, then pull it out.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128508&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=7ff488f0bcf5ea3b34958cc2761488dc
    Quote You may also add sunbrella strips at the leech and foot and leave the jib up forever.

We use these UV stips on both Nacras, & the H18. The Hobie is the only one using Sunbrella. It's a fairly heavy material vs 6oz jib. Both Nacras use normal sailcloth, the same color, so it is invisible at any distance.
    You don't need the longevity of Sunbrella, your jib is toast after a couple of years anyway. I think we use about a 14" strip on leach & foot. Remember, once you do that, you can only furl the jib in one direction as you need the UV strip to be on the outside.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 18, 2017 - 03:40 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteI have to disagree with that. The biggest class of Cats in the U.K. is the Dart. They use hank on jibs, & they have furlers.

I was guessing - and am glad to hear you think hanks will work without issue

btw - i am pretty certain that Darts are built and raced sans furler - of course you can add one, but it's not a stock part (as far as i can tell from the Dart rules, and that is what i thought)

http://www.dart18.com/new…ules_as_at_May2011-1.pdf

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.