Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tossed off the side?  Bottom

• Hello everyone, first post here! Hoping someone could help solve a minor mystery we encountered.

We have a Prindle 16 we got late last season, and we're both somewhat novice sailors. This past weekend we got it out, finally, for the first time this season. Had trouble locating some bolts for all of June, sadly.

Anyways, we got rolling and on our second port tack we started picking up speed. We both started shifting our weight back to keep the front of the leeward hull safely raised. A second later - something happened and we took an abrupt sharp hilt to the right tossing the both of us off the back left of the boat. Mostly a lateral movement, like we were not flung upwards as if we'd pitch poled. The boat essentially stopped sailing, we were able to hold on to the back and make sure the main sheet was free. The boat had also jibed in the process.

We're pretty new to sailing, but still have enough hours under us to think this was rare. At least we were safe and able to laugh about suddenly being in the water together. Is this some form of minor pitch poling? Is it possible a slight turn falling off from the wind coupled w/ hitting a chop in the water just right could have stopped us like that?
  • hitting a chop? not sure what you mean but if you hit a wave on the bows, it can turn the boat,
    if you are already turning with the rudder(s) the same direction (or holding them steady), it can be pretty much like being on a mechanical bull and thrown off to the side.

Quote Is it possible a slight turn falling off from the wind coupled w/ hitting a chop in the water just right could have stopped us like that?
  • run aground?

--
    -PG
    '95 Nacra 5.8NA , rule#2
    --
  • When you turned to port tack, you misjudged the direction of the wind. Your main sheet was loose, traveler tight, the boat accidentally jibed and tbagged you. How does that sound?
  • Sounds like an auto-jibe to me.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I was talking to a guy who was new to cat sailing a couple weeks ago and he described something very similar to what you just described in this post. Except for the boat flipped over backwards on him. But basically that is what it sounds like to me as an auto jibe and a teabag.
    Might not have been your fault either sometimes the wind will change direction 90° without notice. Here in the SW we get dust devils that go out onto the water and as you're cruising along the wind will change 90° and then a couple seconds later 180° from that and then back to where it was in the first place. I never put down the main sheet. In the summer, we have to be ready to leap across the tramp at moments notice, then back to the other side as the DD passes. Usually, we can see them, a circular wave pattern , and get ready. Sometimes, not so much.
    Also, I have been sailing double trapped, through a strong piece of air, dug the bows and stood the boat on its nose, dropped down flat again and continued sailing, and ran out of air, tbagged, all within 30 seconds.
    The vid is on YouTube - I think it's "lake pleasant skipper splashdown" , I was also ejected from the trapeze in the same sequence. Damn quick release hook!
    Air b funny

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.