Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

many lesson on safety in one ride.  Bottom

• I had sailed catamaran before but it was 25 years ago. My wife has also experience sailing with a laser.

We bougth the Inter 18 last fall because our child’s are old enough now. The girl is 15 and the boy is 12. We sailed the boat twice before Tuesday in light wind, under 10 mph on lake Champlain, VT. Water temp was about 75 F. Tuesday, back to lake Champlain, the wind was stronger, about 12 mph in the morning. Before going, we laid the boat on its side and I made sure I was able to right it by myself and it was positive. Good news, I would be able to sail it alone. So we sailed the whole morning and everything went fine. We stopped for lunch. After lunch we went back. At some point the wind grew stronger and my wife went out on the trap. All was fine until we pitchpole. First thing, I checked every one was okay. We went on the windward side of the boat and when I looked at it, the wind was pushing it away on its side. I swim to reach it and grab a rope that was trailing in the water. My wife stayed with the kids. I pulled myself to the boat and had a look to my family and saw that the distance between us was growing. I climbed on the boat, released the main sail and the jib, stand near the transom to rotate the boat at a proper angle to be righted. I righted it with no problem. That’s when things get worse.
    I had installed a rope at the front to help climbing on board. I took the idea in this forum. I have made it pretty much the same way but a little bit different. It’s a rope tied to the front beam on each side with another rope tied at the middle that prevent it from going under the tramp when you push on it with your foot. I test the setup to adjust the length of rope but never push as hard as when you try to climb.

When I tried to climb, my foot pushed on the transverse rope and the knot of the retaining rope slide to the end, annihiling its purpose. I should have made it exactly like Catmodding has done his. 25 years ago I was 40 pounds lighter and 25 years younger. I was able to jump on the tramp using only my arms. Now I know I can’t do that anymore. It took me about 30 minutes to climb onboard. Once there, exhausted, I can’t see my family anymore. The waves were about 1.5 foot high. I searched them and after 20 minutes I stopped a motorboat and ask them to help me. We search for 1.5 hours before the motorboat found them. All were okay. They brought them to the shore. My boy suffered from mild hypothermia but the others fine. He has no fat to keep him warm.

Hopefully, that lesson on safety ended well.

1- We will modify or replace our climbing aid;
    2- Every member will have a device to show its position and they will learn to use it. I still have to decide which device is the best;
    3- Every member will have a whistle;
    4- At least the boy will wear its wet suit.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edited by coolhead on Jul 03, 2014 - 05:12 PM.

--
    AB
    --
  • less weight and better shape would help a lot.
  • When I was 20 (only five years ago) I had to spend 10 min in 55F water to tie my broken H18 rudders on. Even with a full 4mm wet suit I was completely exhausted. My best friend had to pull me aboard.
    The rope loop for your foot should be a sure fix.

or just turtle, that will stop it.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • marcs2less weight and better shape would help a lot.

I already lost 25 pounds and that motivates me to continue.

25 years ago I weighted about 175 and was at 11% fat. being at 11% fat now I would weight around 190. Another 25 pounds to loose.

Edited by coolhead on Jul 03, 2014 - 04:23 PM.

--
    AB
    --
  • rch701
    The rope loop for your foot should be a sure fix.

That's how I climbed on the boat. I took the righting rope and made a loop at the end.

--
    AB
    --
  • A radio for you and your wife kept on your vest could be useful as well. I'm glad everything turned out ok. I would have been a bit frantic.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • My lesson was, Don't let your buddy helm your new 20 footer!
    The silly bastard crashed it & I broke my ankle, so now I'm hobbling around like a one legged duck.
    The bright side is I now get all of July off. The B777 chief pilot remarked, "some of you guys will do anything to get summer vacation".

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Wow, that's frightening. I'm glad you and your family are safe. The comment about needing to lose weight and get in better shape was asinine. I'm surprised he didn't feel compelled to add that it helps not to pitch pole.

Edited by BrianCT on Jul 04, 2014 - 04:03 PM.
  • Andre, you mentioned making a boarding assist from the forum. Was it from Ditchzbee(sp)?
    He posted a visual of it in the Tech Help forum I believe. It is simple & IIRC was made to work with a spin pole.
    Wolfman also had a problem boarding, & he has a thread somewhere on this forum, & I think some photos in his album. He used a retractable ladder on the front beam.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Ed,

No, it was from catmodding. But unfortunatly I didn't make it exactly like his and you know the result now.

Here's the post: http://www.thebeachcats.c…nc=viewtopic&topic=14029

--
    AB
    --
  • Here's a video, made by Christian Kurkio, how its supposed to work.
    https://www.youtube.com/w…Mq6hfz8&feature=youtu.be
    Thanks, Christian.

And yes, the bridle should be in a fixed knot , all 3 lines.

Glad You and you're family made it back save...

Regards , Andre

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Part of my pre-flight safety briefing to my crew/passengers is should the boat go over YOU NEVER... NEVER....NEVER....NEVER LET GO OF THE BOAT GRAB ANYTHING AN HOLD IT......

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnESPart of my pre-flight safety briefing to my crew/passengers is should the boat go over YOU NEVER... NEVER....NEVER....NEVER LET GO OF THE BOAT GRAB ANYTHING AN HOLD IT......

That has been the biggest error. All other problem came from letting the boat go. I was not remembering that the boat could go away that fast. From now on I will also brief the passenger on that.

--
    AB
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.