Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Question: Are there any other cats with wings besides the H18?  Bottom

• Sorry for the stupid question but I just don't know the answer to this. If I wanted a ride with seats for the wife, kids, friends, etc. what are my options?

TIA!

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/13045

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • rondogSorry for the stupid question but I just don't know the answer to this. If I wanted a ride with seats for the wife, kids, friends, etc. what are my options?

TIA!

Besides the two kinds of wings for the Hobie 18, Magnum and SX, The other Hobie models that came with wings were the Hobie 17, FX-One, Hobie 21SE, Hobie 21SC, Getaway, and Wave.

Of those the H17 and FX-One are single handed boats that aren't up to carrying the weight of a family.

The 21SE was a 21 foot by 10 foot beast racer built for three years from 1988-1990, heavy. Came with SX sized wings that plug into sockets on the hulls.

The 21SC is the same hulls as the 21SE with a 8 foot beam, Hobie 18 sized rig, and big storage/camping features. Very heavy but a heck of a family cruiser. Same wings as 21SE.

The Getaway is a 16 1/2 foot family fun boat, wings are a factory option as well as a front load bearing tramp that gives the kids room to move around.

The Wave is only 13 foot boat, has surprising load carrying and has wings (more like backrests than seats) as an option.

In addition Hobie Europe had three different kinds of wings for the Hobie Tiger and Hobie 20 Formula.

There were wings available for a some Prindles, I've seen them on a Prindle 19, but I'd say they were rare.

Same with the Mystere, they had a winged 6.0 meter boat but I think it was also 10 feet wide.

No, there are not many factory winged boats out there besides the H18 that will handle multiple people.

Of course you can always make your own hybrid like adding Getaway wings to a Prindle 18 like this.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…457-1982-prindle-18.html

http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/1/Jim-Prindle-028.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • these are also an option for an H16

http://www.sitnsail.com/

Edited by pknapp66 on Jun 29, 2014 - 05:30 PM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Thanks Damon! Good useful info!

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • DamonLinkousOf those the H17 and FX-One are single handed boats that aren't up to carrying the weight of a family.

The 21SC is the same hulls as the 21SE with a 8 foot beam, Hobie 18 sized rig, and big storage/camping features. Very heavy but a heck of a family cruiser. Same wings as 21SE.

In addition Hobie Europe had three different kinds of wings for the Hobie Tiger and Hobie 20 Formula.

There were wings available for a some Prindles, I've seen them on a Prindle 19, but I'd say they were rare.

No, there are not many factory winged boats out there besides the H18 that will handle multiple people.

Of course you can always make your own hybrid like adding Getaway wings to a Prindle 18 like this.

Given this info, would you say the H18 would be sufficient for my scenario or would an 8' beam 19 or 20 be ideal?

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • QuoteSame with the Mystere, they had a winged 6.0 meter boat but I think it was also 10 feet wide.

I have a 6m,(20') Mystere with wings. It is a 10' beam, but came with the beams/rigging to convert to 8'6" beam.
    It is a 2000 model, wings are I believe 10'6" long. They look exactly like some of the Hobie wings, but can be removed with 2 bolts each, leaving nothing behind to hang up on.
    Wing tramps are by Sunrise, & they have lines with a hook, connected by bungees. I can only surmise that this serves as a sort of chicken line & you clip it to your harness.
    Solo on this boat is scary enough, I can't imagine trapping out from the wings, then clipping in.
    Not sure about the comments of dragging them when flying a hull. They cantilever upwards & outwards, if you drag one you are already so far gone that you are going over.
    They make the boat over 12' beam, but keep you up & out of the spray. The 6XL is fairly dry, but today we got into some 3-4' steep waves & if you take one the right way, you are eating some water sittin gon the tramp.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • rondog
    Given this info, would you say the H18 would be sufficient for my scenario or would an 8' beam 19 or 20 be ideal?

Yes, the Hobie 18 with wings has room and carrying capacity for even four adults, and besides the Getaway it's going to be the easiest one to find.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkousYes, the Hobie 18 with wings has room and carrying capacity for even four adults, and besides the Getaway it's going to be the easiest one to find.

Thanks! This was the direction I was headed anyway, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

This is such an awesome board! Thanks everyone for your insight.

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • Note: Hobie wings have a max load of 450 lbs. Don't ask me how I know. Mystere 6.0, 6.0xl, 5.5, and 5.5XL could be ordered with wings. I retro fitted a set of Hobie 18SX wings on my M6.0. Prindle and Nacra offered a wing retro kit. The wings slide into the crossbars. I have even seen a set of those wings on an INTER 20.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109254&g2

Edited by beachsailor on Jun 30, 2014 - 07:49 AM.
  • I added an album under IDENTIFICATION called WINGS where we can post pictures of cats with wings. Hope this helps.
  • Good idea idee thanks for the initiative.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • QuoteSolo on this boat is scary enough, I can't imagine trapping out from the wings, then clipping in.

More fun than you can imagine.... try not to smile so wide, as your mouth will fill with water from the spray all around you

man up and get crew on that thing in 25+ .. it sails like a kitten in that wind

2 on the wire on the wing while the skipper steers is awesome ....
  • WOW ! looks great and looks just like my Technora sail

http://asnstudios.com/images/cat.jpg

Can you post a few close ups pics of your wing attachments (where they marry the beam)

Quote I retro fitted a set of Hobie 18SX wings on my M6.0.
  • DamonLinkous
    rondog

Yes, the Hobie 18 with wings has room and carrying capacity for even four adults, and besides the Getaway it's going to be the easiest one to find.

Damon let's say I don't care about wings and want a faster ride with single and dual handling. What's your weigh in between a Magnum and an 18SX? I welcome anyone else's conversation as well.

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/black92se/A483A064-776F-4B47-B861-56CF4C556C98_zpscymdr5yn.jpg

Here is a set of homebrew wings for an i20. Taken off of catsailor

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • mystere 6.0 with custom wings

http://asnstudios.com/images/wing.jpg

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.