Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 14/16 rudder slop improvements  Bottom

• I found this article on stiffening Hobie rudders. Near the end he uses Black RTV to make a shim for the rudder blade to sit in. Is this a normal upgrade? Would plastic shims be sufficient?

http://home.earthlink.net/~mattson/hobie/archives/v1-i7/feature1.htm

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Clarification: Would JUST plastic shims be sufficient?

--
    --
  • I've seen the workings of a brazillion Hobie 16s, and never once have I seen anyone mold anything in the lower casting in front of the rudder blade. It's surely overkill and may lead to unintended negative consequences.

Shims in the castings are common (and desirable if there's room in there for 'em).

That said, while it may "feel" better, I honestly don't think a little slop in the rudder system affects performance significantly. If the frame and tramp aren't good and tight, these little tweaks aren't going to help much. Rudder alignment and rake are next most important.

To get rid of all the slop, you'd need to renew/replace/shim/tighten the hiking stick/crossbar connection, crossbar/tiller connections, tiller/casting connections, pin holes in castings, pins, pin holes in gudgeons, etc. Then the system would probably be all bound up.....if you could even reassemble it.

Edited by rattlenhum on Jun 18, 2014 - 02:39 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Hobie makes "slop bushings" for the rudder pin connections. I installed them on my 18, along with the Hobie 20 connector kit (#1953) and some homemade shims made out of butter carton lids. Got rid of most (95%) of the slop.

Edited by presto13031 on Jun 18, 2014 - 03:56 PM.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • rattlenhumI've seen the workings of a brazillion

Watching the World Cup?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I've seen racers do this and it is actually not overkill. The original design of the rake adjustsble rudder castings has a small plastic screw in the bottom af the lower rudder casting which is intended to act as an adjustable stop for the front of the rudder blade. This allow you to have the rudder raked back away from the front of the rudder casting and still seat firmly. The problem, however, is that the small screw has a tendency to gouge into the front of the rudder blade causing damage and also negating the intended purpose of the screw. Using a silicone shim allows for a more forgiving stop so you don't have to use the screw and dig holes in your $500 rudder blades. This technique can also be used on older rudder castings which don't have the small screw in the lower casting. Another option is to use contact cement to bond a small piece of carpet to the rudder casting.

sm
  • Great information guys.

Quotebutter carton lids.

I have cut some up and plan to install this weekend.

I will shoot in this order. Then I can feel the improvements as I go.
    Shims
    crossbar/tiller connections
    then silicone if I am confident in my rudder rake

--
    --
  • I used the plastic lid for shims, seemed to work well...I made my own tiller connectors, something my P16 came without.
    everything is pretty tight now except for the pin & gudgeons... any suggestions?

brass bushings perhaps, kinda costly though, custom machining...
    I don't think plastic/nylon would hold up long any opinions?

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • kernunnosI don't think plastic/nylon would hold up long any opinions?

I have noticed no wear in about 25 sailing sessions on the black plastic Hobie bushings.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.