Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

help with Mystere 5.0xl jib rigging  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I posted this question a little while back but can"t seem to find the thread anymore. my mystere has a track on each hull with an eyestrap in it that slides back and forth. The guy I bought it from said this is where you attach the jib blocks but i'm pretty sure that's not right. Does anyone have pics showing how to rig up the jib?

Jason

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • my starboard 4 way jib block assembly can be seen behind the dog

http://asnstudios.com/images/jibb.jpg

There is a wire (or line as mine has) that attaches to the jib (sliding) cart (you called it an eyestrap) that goes that goes across the deck.

the jib block has a shackle underneath it that allows the block to slide in(haul) and out(haul) for different sailing directions - in haul for upwind, out haul for downwind

the cart slides forward and aft for a couple reasons,
    to adjust the shape of your sail (sliding the cart forward will give you a steeper angle from of your jib blocks - thus pulling more from the luff of your jib vs more of the foot of the sail)

or if you (like me) utilize different size jibs, it allows you to correctly adjust the the angle of your jib lines
  • Jason, here is an album I just threw together, based on photos taken of my 2001 Mystere 6.0XL. Mine is setup with the 10' beams right now, but I'm sure the 8' is the same.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ctures/?g2_itemId=109039
    I can't vouch that this is the "best" way, but this is how I was shown it goes together.
    I also added a couple at the beginning, from another 6XL. Other than the exit blocks not being the Harkens mine uses, it seems identical, right down to the forward tramp & spin pole.
    This rigging is for the 4 way system,(barber haulers allow the foot of the jib to be pulled outwards to the end of the beam, used for downwind).
    If you don't want the added complexity of the 4 way system, just shackle the jib blocks to the eyestrap that slides in the track. That is how both my older Nacras work. The nacra car is positioned by pulling up on a pin, sliding the car to the desired position, then letting the spring loaded pin pop back down into one of the holes.
    The Mystere car is moved by two lines, allowing it to be adjusted on the fly.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76383&g2_serialNumber=6
    You might have to click on full size to see it properly.
    Here is another photo I cribbed. I think it is Philips Nacra 5.8 or 6. Note he has the cam "reversed". I think that was done to make release easy from almost any angle.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18433&g2_serialNumber=9

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 08, 2014 - 07:10 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteIf you don't want the added complexity of the 4 way system, just shackle the jib blocks to the eyestrap that slides in the track.

Having your jib outhauled in upwind conditions can work but your sheeting must be much more exact, it is easier to over or undersheet the jib in that position (at least on my 5.5)

Also you will lose a couple of degrees of pointing upwind
  • Thanks for all the pics guys! We got the 5.0 all set up this weekend and even got out for a short sail with our little guys. MN3, I can see that line crossing the tramp in your pic but I can't see how you're adjusting the outhaul. Does that red rope have anything to do with it or is that for something else? Edchris' pic imb1081 in his album might be similar to what you have? What holds the jib block in the desired outhaul position?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • QuoteWhat holds the jib block in the desired outhaul position?

I added another hi res photo, #1082.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109078&g2_serialNumber=3
    You can see that the blocks freely travel laterally, (on either a cable or line). If you haul on the jib line, you would be able to move the block inwards, right over to the other side of the boat. That movement is limited by the blue line, (with yellow trace, look at left side of photo & blow it up) you can just make it out, attached to the bottom of the jib block, running parallel to the cable. That line is cleated via one of the jam cleats on the hull.
    So you see, as you sheet the jib, the block wants to come to the center of the boat, but is limited by where you cleat the blue line.
    The album might be a bit confusing because there are 2 different boats, & mine had some lines changed between photos, so the line colors may not be consistent.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 10, 2014 - 06:24 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Quote Does that red rope have anything to do with it or is that for something else

the orange line is unrelated (it's the deadend of my trapeze system & bungee line running under the tramp (tied poorly by crew)

Quote I can see that line crossing the tramp in your pic but I can't see how you're adjusting the outhaul.

There is a line tied to the shackle under the port block.
    The port jib block outhaul line runs to a small turning block on the port eyestrap/cart (#2) then crosses the tramp and ends on a little cleat that is on the same track as the starboard eyestrap/cart, about 1' forward (#1).

by sheeting the line, it pulls the jib blocks out. when you release the outhaul line, it will allow the jib blocks to move inward.

Most people tie a bungee to each jib block so they will automatically move inward when you release the outhaul line. I personally realized that bungee is not needed and i can manipulate the jib blocks without problem by using the jib sheet...

http://asnstudios.com/images/photo.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Jun 10, 2014 - 07:59 AM.
  • QuoteMost people tie a bungee to each jib block so they will automatically move inward when you release the outhaul line.

You can see this in photo #1082. It is the pure red line between the two blocks. As said, not totally required. I left as it was more visible than the black cable, kids & wife were always tripping on it.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteAs said, not totally required. I left as it was more visible than the black cable, kids & wife were always tripping on it.

most (mystere) tramps i have seen have a pace of material that covers most of the 4way spaghetti. They also all seem to rip off after a while, so i don't utilize them, but it is nice to hide all those lines
  • Awesome stuff guys, thank you so much for the great info and pics! You guys should re-write the Mystere owner's manual, it's not HALF as detailed as what you just posted. Actually they left the jib rigging out almost entirely. I'm going to rig up something like this so I can trim that jib properly.

MN3most (mystere) tramps i have seen have a pace of material that covers most of the 4way spaghetti. They also all seem to rip off after a while, so i don't utilize them, but it is nice to hide all those lines

Our tramp is new from last year but doesn't have anything to cover all the lines (old one didn't either), but I can see how it could be nice to have. Especially with my two little crewmen aboard icon_wink Is it something detachable or is it sewn/welded to the tramp?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • It was a simple rectangle of tramp mesh that was sewn on the forward and aft sides, leaving the sides open allowing for the lines to run freely

Quote Is it something detachable or is it sewn/welded to the tramp?

the problem was this "2 sided pocket" would get stretched when there was tension on the jib and the weight of crew (sagging the tramp downword while the wire and cables resisted) would cause the pockets to rip off

also it would "hide" the steel cable that ran under it, out of sight, out of mind... so it made for LOTS of grinding on the shins of crew and skippers alike while tacking.
  • QuoteYou guys should re-write the Mystere owner's manual, it's not HALF as detailed as what you just posted.

You actually have manual?
    Please email me a copy, I have zilch, nada, zip. Spent the entire day today figuring out the spin pole setup. The photos I had from the previous owner had all the lines external, & because lines had been changed, the colors were different from the box load of parts I had.
    The lines are now inside the spin pole, using the halyard line to pull the tack to the end of the pole. Major skull cramps figuring out that double airblock inside the pole, since one line had been pulled out, & I know practically nothing about spins or the setups.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 10, 2014 - 08:29 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteSpent the entire day today figuring out the spin pole setup.

page 32 - http://www.hobie-cat.net/…oad/manuels/tiger_gb.pdf for standard spin setup

http://i697.photobucket.c…nnakerrigging_Page_3.jpg - for double air blocks on the tack line
  • I'd gladly email you the manual (i have it in PDF ), but how's your french? I'm bilingual and I had some trouble with the technical terminology. A jib is a foc, a halyard a drisse etc. I'm not sure if there is an english version available but i'll try to find out for you. If there is maybe we could upload it on this site somewhere?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • For those who could need the translation of the marine terms from french to english:

http://www.mandragore2.ne…gl/translate2.php?page=a

--
    AB
    --
  • I just got the reply from Mystere confirming their manuals are only available in french. If anyone wants one anyways, let me know your email address and I'll pass it on.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • Quote for double air blocks on the tack line

Thank, you two items would have saved ma 1/2 a day!
    That is exactly how I eventually set it up. My lines/blocks are all internal in the spin pole, but I don't have a carbo block at the end.
    The tack line deadends at the endcap with a stopper so it can't be pulled inside. The line then runs internal to the first Harken micro block, then back out the end of the pole via a polished hole to a stopper & tack of spin. The halyard goes from camcleat on beam into the pole via turning block, then to the 2nd internal micro block(that is attached to the 1st one), back towards the beam, exiting via another turning block, then up the mast to an SS bail, then another 10" to a mast block, then back down to the head of the spin.
    Does the halyard go INSIDE the bail, both upwards & on the way down?
    The bail looks stronger than the mast block, which is not on a tang, only 2 rivets hold it to mast.
    The PO photos show the spin control line going in a continuous loop from the spin back to a 3" ratchet block on each end of the rear beam. There are 2 sets of harken exit blocks on the mast base. One I know is for the 16"1 (?) downhaul. Are the others for spin line?
    Does the line come from the rear beam ratchets forward & through the 2nd set of exit blocks?
    I'll get some photos in the next few days.
    QuoteA jib is a foc, a halyard a drisse etc.

Yes, & enrouleur de foc = furler, a remorque is a trailer, barre de redressement = righting pole, & lumière fonctionnelle= working lights.
    Please send me a copy. My French is Parisian, but my daughter is pretty good with the Quebec dialect, & hey, they have hot women & excellent liquor laws!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteFor those who could need the translation of the marine terms from french to english:

That's a good link Andre. With French being derived from Latin, it is surprising how much is similar to Spanish, Italian or Portuguese.
    There are also a good number of words we have imported verbatim into the English language.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Dialect, you said dialect, oh! boy. You must be Parisian to talk like that.

But I have to agree about our women and liquor laws.

By the way Ed, I sent you a PM on another matter. Maybe you can help me.

--
    AB
    --
  • Just give me your email, Edchris. I don't know how to find it on this site.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.