Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GoPro vs. Garmin VIRB  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• This was all shot on a ViRB this summer, great camera. Very steady.

https://youtu.be/ZaYFpBReBvQ
  • I've owned and destroyed two Go Pros by careless handling in wet environments. In the second incident, I used the open back to allow sound to get through, which I consider critical to most videos I make. I recently purchased a splash proof Sony AS-200 @ $269 after watching some comparison videos on youtube and am so far pleased with the results. I no longer worry about use around water and it has decent sound. The battery at 1080P 30fps is around 2hrs of recording and will do 1080P 60fps, 720P 120fps. It also has wifi control, live video feed and GPS among its many features.
    Some negatives-
    It would be nice if it vibrated when turning on. The audible on/off tone is weak to non-existent at certain ambient noise levels and a recording light is useless when mount on a helmet. The tiny lcd window is a bit of a pain like the GoPro, but small size comes at a price. For deeper underwater shots a separate case purchase is required.

What can sound do for you- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEN77NJdfE
  • one issue with GoPro cam seems to be that some models have problems with larger size SD cards (64GB) that don't have really high write speeds.. I have a Hero3+ and already lost a SanDisk Ultra and Extreme XC card...then recently switched to Lexar 633X cards they recommend and while that one seems a bit better it still fragments recordings into shorter clips.

Has anyone of the users using other action cams also had this issue? It seems it's mostly wwith Hero3 and up models and there mostly @1080/30fps so if you turn down the resolution the problem seems to disappear...a bit odd when you consider SanDisk makes highly rated SD cards..
    Anyway, just trying to get an idea whether this issue is GoPro specific or also exists with similar high res action cams...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I posted about my new Virb Elite last year... and have used it extensively since then and can only sing its praises... the software got better... and the only issue I run into is with battery charging... it gets confused and you have to let it run right down and then fully charge and all is well again.

The Virb Edit s/w has also developed... see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu2u_4n8p6k for an example of Dart 18 sailing with the GPS overlays.

Garmin have just launched a new version of the camera... but I will have to wait till I break or loose mine before I could justify buying... what I have does the job well.

You will see from the video that the south coast of England (Shoreham is just west of Brighton) tends to be a bit choppy... this is a fairly typical day.... difficult to get the speed up unless the wind swings around to the east or north... but when it does... we have some fun.

Tim

--
    Dart18
    Topper
    --
  • the GPS data integration is a really cool feature of the Garmin VIRB...a friend of mine uses it for cycling and there it picks up speed/GPS too. It looks like from your clip you also can display current heading and tracks all from the GPS signal..

twardglo40I posted about my new Virb Elite last year... and have used it extensively since then and can only sing its praises... the software got better... and the only issue I run into is with battery charging... it gets confused and you have to let it run right down and then fully charge and all is well again.

The Virb Edit s/w has also developed... see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu2u_4n8p6k for an example of Dart 18 sailing with the GPS overlays.

Garmin have just launched a new version of the camera... but I will have to wait till I break or loose mine before I could justify buying... what I have does the job well.

You will see from the video that the south coast of England (Shoreham is just west of Brighton) tends to be a bit choppy... this is a fairly typical day.... difficult to get the speed up unless the wind swings around to the east or north... but when it does... we have some fun.

Tim

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I have had an older version Go Pro and a Sony Action camera. I am now using a AEE S71, it takes really good video. I mostly use it to pull stills off video for work but its great for kayaking, canyoneering, and sailing too. I have a lot of white water kayaking friends that have been using AEE cameras with really good results. Quality gear and much cheaper than the big brands. My computer cannot handle the 4K files so I use it in 1080 x 30fps.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • I have two action cams I purchased on ebay

Coleman Conquest2

Coleman Bravo2

I also purchased a Double Power Pack 2260mAh…eable Battery w/ Housing
    for both of my action cams.

Monoprice.com also sells the MHD Sport 2.0 Wi-Fi® Act…ive View RF Wrist Remote which I think is the same as the Coleman Conquest2 but did not verify it had the Ambarella chip in it that the Coleman has. The Dive Case For MHD Sport 2 holds the Coleman cams I have. I have a couple of extra cases because I found it easier to transfer the camera than to unmount the housing and remount it to a different spot.

Monoprice.com also sells a Cam Floaty. Which I mount either behind or under the action cam housing, just in case the camera falls in the drink.

I like the live wrist controller/viewer these cameras have. It helps in adusting the camera to the mount. Plus I can controll when I am shooting and confirm it is recording. Looking at the wrist LCD, is like looking at your cell phone in bright light. Both of these cameras will shut down if you have not taken a photo or video in the last 15 minutes, so being able to snap a photo from the wrist controller/viewer I am able to keep the camera from shutting down.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • The first Hero (version i) came with a warning not to use anything larger than 32 gigs
    i don't recall that warning in the hero 3

I personally like the hero 3 feature that breaks up long shoots into smaller video files, makes it much more manageable to download a few files vs having to download 7 gigs for 10 seconds of great video but i see both sides of the coin

mareklione issue with GoPro cam seems to be that some models have problems with larger size SD cards (64GB) that don't have really high write speeds.. I have a Hero3+ and already lost a SanDisk Ultra and Extreme XC card...then recently switched to Lexar 633X cards they recommend and while that one seems a bit better it still fragments recordings into shorter clips.

Has anyone of the users using other action cams also had this issue? It seems it's mostly wwith Hero3 and up models and there mostly @1080/30fps so if you turn down the resolution the problem seems to disappear...a bit odd when you consider SanDisk makes highly rated SD cards..
    Anyway, just trying to get an idea whether this issue is GoPro specific or also exists with similar high res action cams...

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.