Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GoPro vs. Garmin VIRB  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• My first post... Does anyone have experience with the new Garmin VIRB Elite HD Video camera? I think GoPro is the standard out there. Just doing my reasearch before I make that purchase...

Thanks for any insight! - Andy

https://buy.garmin.com/en…rb-elite/prod119594.html

--
    Andy Gardner
    Hobie 21SE "Lickity Split"
    Cowan Lake Sailing Association
    Foster, OH
    --
  • I own 3 gopros... a hero 3 black and two hero 2's. There fantastic camera's and gopro has amazing mounts for a variety of shots. Just my two cents

--
    Saint Simons Island, GA
    Saint Simons Surf Sailors

Nacra 6.0NA
    Nacra Inter17
    Hobie Wave
    PSI Laser
    AMF Sunfish
    --
  • Plus 1 for the gopro. I use it a lot. Mountain biking, sailing, skiing, my dog, kids, and even videos of hummingbirds and other wildlife. It also takes fantastic pics. Super durable, high quality video, easy to use, and like loganbetts stated above, tons of mounts. Nothing comes close. The slow motion you can get with this thing is awesome. I can get down to 12% of original speed and it is still as fluid as normal. It's Unbelievable.

I did this one last week of my dad. 72 years young and still moving at a good clip :) Nothing worse than snow for videos because it wreaks havoc on white balancing. Still comes out perfect, and I did nothing to enhance it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70A7WfYW3j4

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • I'll also through out that I fly rc planes with my dad a lot, and I've mounted them on all kinds of planes and even dropped one over a 100 feet and it was fine.

--
    Saint Simons Island, GA
    Saint Simons Surf Sailors

Nacra 6.0NA
    Nacra Inter17
    Hobie Wave
    PSI Laser
    AMF Sunfish
    --
  • Ok, you inspired me with all this gopro talk. I had a bunch of bits of gopro vid I took on a light breeze day with my dad and daughter on a small lake. It took about 45 minutes to put the compilation together:

http://www.youtube.com/wa…BJvqq60&feature=youtu.be

The suction cup mount is money for video on catamarans. Just make sure you use a tether :)

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • Awesome videos ya'all... you guys are talented! So as expected - lots of praise for the GoPro... But anyone out there tried the VIRB?

Cheers - Andy

--
    Andy Gardner
    Hobie 21SE "Lickity Split"
    Cowan Lake Sailing Association
    Foster, OH
    --
  • For all the praise the gopro gets, they have just as equal downfalls. I have wondered for YEARS when a company that makes good electronics to introduce something that could compete with go pro.

They have TERRIBLE battery life in the heat(when you are sailing, fishing, kayaking, etc). They also have complicated menus that are a pain in the butt mostly based on your familiarity with their obscure abbreviations.
  • I basically limit my use to things on the menu when out in the field; the video setting and photo setting. I set it back at the house for each one then toggle between the two when using it. I do not find it complicated. My issue is my age, I can't see the menu too well without reading glasses.

Battery life can be finicky, although it may be better on their newer iteration. I do carry a spare with me. It is easy enough replace.

Let's put it this way. Watch some TV, all action sports shows, competitions, etc. have these things placed all over the place recording the action. If it is good enough for Redbull and Nascar, it's good enough for me.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • The Go-Pro is the standard for sure, but if you do not want a Go-pro, get a Contour. They are popular with my group and are certainly easier to use than the Go-pro.

http://contour.com/
  • I have both the Contour and the Go-Pro's, and use them hard. Contour's are nice and are similar feature for feature. I like the bullet design of the Contour much more than the box Go-Pro's. As for GoPros, I have over 600,000 vertical this season to date using the Go-Pros. The batteries s-u-x. Cannot even get through a day even when turning standby off, turning wifi off, and not using the remote. The other issue I have is the waterproof case buttons will sometime hang up, which is a major buzz kill when you can't turn it off. On the other hand, GoPro and third party companies have every know mount and gizmo imaginable. They have tremendous market penetration and a well deserved brand. GoPro's are my choice for scuba diving.

--
    Philip
    --
  • The Garmin looks sweet and I like the gps feature but I am a gopro man also, probably a sucker for all of the marketing that they have had in place "the world's most versatile camera" and seeing them used all over the filming industry. BUT the popularity has grown and made the product continually better and better and more versatile. I have to back up the battery life conversation though. I'm still on the Hero2 but that is by far my biggest complaint.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • My recent experience with gopro. Very happy..
    Some comments:
    - When I mounted it at the top of the mast (second video), I changed the field of view, to the smallest if I remember well. Very useful to have the wifi and use the iphone app (in a waterproof case) or the remote of the camera. Having one huge video file is not practical, you will want to start and stop the recording at least. (though I think wifi impacts energy consumption).
    - Check the mounting accessory at the first video, first image.. It's just a hole on the cap with the tripod mount accessory (plus a proper bolt at the other side). Worked perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24R_BmTW64U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelqd5CKUgI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgQxIS0TDDM
  • Cesar,
    The Contour also has GPS.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Oh, nice. I must of looked at them before that or just overlooked. Either way, seems like a nice addition.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • Had a closer look at the Garmin Virb's brochure, the IPX-rating of the Garmin is 7. That's not sufficient for cat-sail videos. Here's a quote from their brochure
    QuoteVIRB Elite is rugged and waterproof to IPX7 right out of the box, meaning the device will withstand incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter in depth for up to 30 minutes. For all activities that involve water immersion, the optional Dive Case is required. The Dive Case increases the waterproof rating to 50 meters and features a flat front lens for clear underwater imaging.

That raises some questions;

-What are the extra costs for the "Dive Case" ?
    -What are the mounting-possibilities for the "Dive Case" ? Bet they can't beat GoPro.

-What is the influence of the "flat front lens" for above water footage ?

I use 2 GoPro's , H1 and H2. The H1 is only in use for my "speedometer".
    The H2 is more then sufficient for home-made catsailing videos.
    Batterie problems can be solved with numerous after-market replacements.
    Common mistake made is shooting a 32 gigB card full in Hi definition, and
    blame the batterie for stopping the camera.

$400 - $600 is 2 Gopro's H2 on graiglist....
    Add the countless amount of mounts and parts either original or after-market

André

Edited by catmodding on Mar 15, 2014 - 04:25 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • I have a Virb Elite and tried it for the first time on my Dart18 today... I have been using it as a general sports cam.. running, cycling and all good results.
    I was also pleased with my previous cams...
    - Kodak Sport ZX5 was OK... also waterproof, but completely the wrong shape... any waves knocked it over and difficult to see the menu... even for simple stuff like "start recording". Broke the screen while sailing a Topper. (dropped my dagger board on it)
    - ION Pro was brilliant.. fully dive waterproof out of the box and much less fiddly than GoPro. Good pictures but strong fisheye distortion. Unfortunately lost after attaching to my dog's collar... not securely enough!!

The reason I didnt get a GoPro next is that my son has one and I know they are good... but wanted something with GPS... and the VIRB lookes very capable.

The good stuff...
    Very clear picture, and when you turn on fisheye reduction, very square.
    Full GPS, and Virb Edit combines video, map, heading, speed on the screen automatically.
    Massive battery life... 3 hours today and not yet run out.
    It is fairly waterproof out of the box... went swimming with it with no problem... but wouldnt want to dive or put in the spray line of fire from the bow of the Dart.
    VERY good image stabiliser.. it uses accelerometers.. which is much more sophisticated than any of the others I have seen.
    The bad...
    Some buggy software and have needed to reset... but its still very new (GoPro was like this initially) and there have been some fixes which appear to have solved the problems.
    Much heavier than any of the others. Not a problem on the boat, but causes vibration on a handlebar mount on a bike.
    Not sure if the dive box is a pro or a con... it adds to the weight... but is certainly fit for purpose, and the flat front lens means proper focus underwater. Mounting is very similar to GoPro.

Hope these comments help!!

--
    Dart18
    Topper
    --
  • Get the GoPro!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUEa7FRpCA

Edited by creative on May 26, 2014 - 07:42 PM.
  • even though it's about impossible to get steady/valuable footage while skippering a catamaran for most, don't discount the head strap mount's value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-ZQcycPFE

Edited by MN3 on May 27, 2014 - 05:25 PM.
  • looks like the newer Garmin VIRB now is waterproofed to 50m now without the dive case...has anyone checked out a newer version? Also, Sony has an action cam, then Contour and a coupe of others. Any updates from folks who have been able to compare them to GoPro's would be great to hear about. Seems the Contour and SJCAM are the price beaters for under $100.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Baz Darby did a nice job on " Tripoint Ocean Race 2015 on Prindle 18" on youtube except the battery ran out early (4 hr race). Pete

Edited by pbegle on Sep 10, 2015 - 03:59 PM.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.