Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nautos Blocks  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I noticed there were a few older posts about Nautos blocks. Now that some of you have some years of use on them, how are the holding up? I need to replace my lower but I cannot get myself to spend the type of money required for Harken. Feedback please. Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • I have a couple of fiddle blocks I've used for few seasons. Haven't had a problem. They aren't Harkens, but then nothing else really is.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Disclaimer: I am the US Distributor for Allen blocks.
    Nautos is a company out of Brazil that all they do is copy blocks of other companies. They gained most of their momentum when Holt broke from Allen to partner with Nautos. Then the two of them had a falling out.
    Allen has been manufacturing the blocks in the UK for 40+ years and has a high quality standard and a lifetime warranty. Our prices are not too far off from Harken or etc for the reason. In most cases the materials used by companies that can sell blocks cheaper than Allen, Harken, and Ronstan are not up to snuff and will not last. Especially when it comes to blocks made of plastic. There are exceptions of course.
    Peter, I live in Quincy and would be happy to sort you out with some good blocks at a good deal. Send me an email Todd dot Riccardi at gmail dot com
  • I have been a Harken fan for decades. They are the best.
    I have been using Nautos as replacements for three years:

Jib Blocks - 5/16" Dacron line
    Mini blocks and cam cleat with fairlead for adj. jib downhaul 1/4" Dacron
    Laser fiddle vang w/cleat for adjustable trapeze line - 1/4" Dacron

As you can see, I have not yet tried main sheet blocks. My Harkens get loved and washed and polished every season. Based on the performance of Nautos' other gear, I would be willing to try their main sheet blocks.

Brazilian engineering has worldwide respect. What once was an in-house military aircraft shop is now the fourth largest commercial aircraft builder in the world. If you have flown anywhere in the US in a 120 seat jet, you probably flew Brazilian engineering.

Edited by klozhald on Feb 07, 2014 - 12:46 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteBrazilian engineering has worldwide respect. What once was an in-house military aircraft shop is now the fourth largest commercial aircraft builder in the world. If you have flown anywhere in the US in a 120 seat jet, you probably flew Brazilian engineering.

They are good, but not as good as a Boeing. We run a fleet of Embryo's (Embraer), they do the job, but not with the same level of creature comforts for the pilots, or engineers who maintain them.
    As noted above, it is pretty easy to copy a proven design, time will tell if they cheaped out on materials. Give those small blocks 10 years in the sun,(20 for main blocks) & if they hold up as well as the Harkens, then they will be a serious threat.
    Perception counts for a lot in that business, if they can get their product onto Olympic & America Cup boats, they may be a force to be reckoned with.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Good points. The Nautos are probably fine unless you are hard on your parts but If it were me I would prefer to look for a used Harken setup for a mainsheet. Those blocks seem to last forever. Could you rebuild your lowers?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • My Nautos mainsheet system is holding up great, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I bought a "Classic Line" 57MM 6:1 triple stack setup which I have since converted to 7:1 (8MM Samson Trophy Braid mainsheet). At the time of my purchase the setup cost me about a third of what I would have paid for Harken equivalent and it came with a 5-year warranty. PayPal'd it right off Nautos' website and it arrived in less than a week.
  • Harken's lifetime warranty (without need of proof of purchase) is reason enough for me to pay extra
    Quote Harken equivalent and it came with a 5-year warranty
  • Excuse me to hack this thread but since we are talking about blocks. When we say 57mm or 75mm block, where it is measured? at the OD or at the bottom of the sheave? I think it's the later but not sure.

Thanks.

--
    AB
    --
  • Yeah, I understand that, and it was certainly a consideration when I bought the blocks. If the system fails in year 6 or whatever, I won't even bat an eye because that means I got 5+ years out of my (then) $130 investment. The system I replaced was a Harken system that failed (ratchet seized on a discontinued block). In any event, my experience having actually used the Nautos blocks for two seasons now has been positive.

MN3Harken's lifetime warranty (without need of proof of purchase) is reason enough for me to pay extra
    Quote Harken equivalent and it came with a 5-year warranty
  • MN3Harken's lifetime warranty (without need of proof of purchase) is reason enough for me to pay extra

Pretty sure Harken's warranty went limited while we weren't looking.

Original materials and workmanship only, with specific time limitations on some pieces.
    Take a read:

http://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=7798

Dissappointing, to say the least.

Edited by klozhald on Feb 11, 2014 - 03:45 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • coolheadExcuse me to hack this thread but since we are talking about blocks. When we say 57mm or 75mm block, where it is measured

The outside diameter of the sheave, not the diameter of the channel the line goes through.

Edited by klozhald on Feb 11, 2014 - 03:44 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Looks like a Harken 2-7 year warranty in plain english you race at all if you ask me…..Hmmm... I'm in the process of looking for modern mainsheet blocks for my '81 H16 so this is a great thread!

Edited by fxloop on Feb 11, 2014 - 05:59 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I've been trying out Viadana blks from sailcare.com. They appear to be moderate quality knock offs of several of Harken's lines, from Italy I believe. I don't have any of them in high load positions, and have only had them a couple of seasons, but good so far. Very attractive pricing, and nice folk to deal with.

Dave
  • Nice find on the blocks through sailcare! Some of those are perfect for the downhaul upgrade I want to do. Thanks. Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • That warrantty page has a date on it of June 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if they still would do a repair for free.. worth checking out

klozhald
    MN3Harken's lifetime warranty (without need of proof of purchase) is reason enough for me to pay extra

Pretty sure Harken's warranty went limited while we weren't looking.

Original materials and workmanship only, with specific time limitations on some pieces.
    Take a read:

http://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=7798

Dissappointing, to say the least.Edited by klozhald on Feb 11, 2014 - 03:45 PM.
  • MN3I wouldn't be surprised if they still would do a repair for free.. worth checking out

There was a very recent entry here where the person talked with Harken and though they were nice, they turned him down for warranty repair.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • any details?
    surely there are items that fail to meet warranty replacement guidelines

klozhald
    MN3I wouldn't be surprised if they still would do a repair for free.. worth checking out

There was a very recent entry here where the person talked with Harken and though they were nice, they turned him down for warranty repair.
  • MN3any details?

klozhald
    MN3I wouldn't be surprised if they still would do a repair for free.. worth checking out

It was me. They were nice. Technically, they warranty for five years, but it sounded like they would have tried to work with me if the block wasn't 28 years old. No, it is not a lifetime warranty. BTW, lifetime is a bit unreasonable, if you ask me. I mean c'mon, we beat the living crap out of these things :)

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • thanks for the details. I can't believe they wouldn't fix your 28 year old blocks! (jk)

my experience with Harken went like this
    - I told them my ratchomatic main blocks didn't seem to be engaging ... they gave me tips to fix it (soak in hot water) - after that didn't fix it.. they said send them in . I asked if i need to find the receipt. They said no.

this was several years ago, but i was thoroughly impressed with their support (except they returned the blocks with something assembled backwards... I think it must have been the cleat. but i was able to turn it around correctly)

peterk123
    MN3any details?

klozhald

It was me. They were nice. Technically, they warranty for five years, but it sounded like they would have tried to work with me if the block wasn't 28 years old. No, it is not a lifetime warranty. BTW, lifetime is a bit unreasonable, if you ask me. I mean c'mon, we beat the living crap out of these things :)

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.