Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Storage Box  Bottom

• It almost got to 17 degrees outside today so I started think about sailing again. It is downright balmy out there.............anyway..........Has anybody used frp panels to make a storage box? I was thinking of making the frame out of thinly cut Trex, then gluing the FRP panels on for the skin.

Technically FRP is for indoor use, but I cannot see why it would not work well in outdoor conditions.

Thanks Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • I've been building sail tubes out of galvanized spiral ducts, 16" dia x 10' long. Last one cost about
    $120 which included the end caps. Pretty cheap and little effort.

Dave
  • davefarmerI've been building sail tubes out of galvanized spiral ducts, 16" dia x 10' long. Last one cost about
    $120 which included the end caps. Pretty cheap and little effort.

Dave

Interesting, do you have pictures?
    I have a sail tube for the sail (and tiller cross bar and stick for trips) and a truck box for everything else, except daggerboards and rudder blades. Frecuently I think of ways to change the truck box for something bigger, to put the daggerboards and rudders too and that can also be installed below the tramp, for more shade. A used ski roof box fits almost every requirement, including budget, but the problem is that it would get water when launching, if installed below the tramp.. That stop's me from ugprading.
  • I built my sail tube out of 14" round Aluminum spiral pipe back in '89 with two end cap and it still look new today. icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • found this on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5nYfdM8d_Q

UV deterioration may make the FRP brittle over time, and as the youtube guy suggests, it may yellow or change color. just about anything fades in UV light.
    instead of the TREX product, have you considered getting some lightweight aluminum angles or 2"wide alum. and bending them for a frame? attach with alum. pop rivets with fender washers? i'm thinking the shape would wind up looking like a Hobie 'Toybox'.

this is not in response to your question, but here's what i've done for a sail tube. total cost about $100. see my album 'Arch's Photos' under Member Personal Albums if this link doesn't work for you.
    http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=102914

j

Edited by arch on Jan 31, 2014 - 04:02 PM.

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • The aluminum angles are a good idea. I built a large windsurfing box using those. They really stiffened up the box.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • arch, is that HDPE tube smooth on the inside?

Thanks
    R
  • i have some of that pipe for a driveway culvert and it is smooth inside

--
    "take your dreams down from the shelf take the measure of yourself upon a beckoning sea"
    eileen quinn
    --
  • My boat's previous owner installed two of these plastic culverts (smooth ID) on the trailer. The biggest problem I have with them is they float the trailer at the ramp! Even if I leave the ends off and empty them, they still displace a lot of water... Now thinking about raising them and moving them forward.
  • r,
    yup, smooth inside with a very slight ripple that is barely noticeable. each rib on the outside has a tiny hole to equalize pressure so the are not completely watertight, nor do they explode if left in the sun.
    i guess i've never backed them into the water but i can see how they would float pretty quickly.

another issue that should be considered is how tall they are, and if your dolphin striker will clear them when loading or unloading. low cost definitely has it's downside!
    j

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.