Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA 20 Round Boom OD? Length?  Bottom

• I purchased the boat used and the existing boom I have been told is not factory. Its currently a heavy Aluminum extrusion. I am strongly considering replacing with a round carbon tube as I see in most photos. My crew has taken one good hit from the rectangular extrusion. Round would be more forgiving, its heavy & not set-up friendly. Could use some help please.

OD?
    Length? 9' (108")

Best regards

DaveODonnell@arfa-tech.com
  • New England Catamaran have one new extrusion or the complete boom for sale.

http://www.new-england-catamarans.com/hot.html

--
    AB
    --
  • Do you have a picture? The original booms were a rectangle shape, in not certain round was ever offered OD. Ther rectangle booms were much tougher, my boat had a .0625 wall round tube tube was prone to damage on capsizes. I replaced it with a .120" wall tube. That all said, it's not too hard to make your own, I think you will have a difficult time trying to go with a carbon version because the boat does not sheet directly from the clue of the main like the newer boats.
  • QuoteThat all said, it's not too hard to make your own

+1
    i have a sunfish mast i hope to turn into a boom this winter to replace my heavy stock one
  • Nacra went to tubular aluminum booms when they upgraded hardware. Much simpler and lighter. As mentioned, very easy to make one and cheap.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Quote I replaced it with a .120" wall tube. That all said, it's not too hard to make your own, I think you will have a difficult time trying to go with a carbon version because the boat does not sheet directly from the clue of the main like the newer boats.

With my Aluminum one the main attaches directly to main clue using a rope encircling the boom. Its really easy to rig like this, makes stress on boom almost nill.

http://f16hpclass.geo.do/ahpc_taipan49_mainsheet_and_boom_sheeting.jpg
    If this were a 20 What OD and length should it be?

Edited by daveodonnell on Feb 03, 2014 - 04:55 PM.
  • You already have it rigged like that? I gave that a try but it forced the mast to rotate too much. My booms were 2" OD. Just over 9' long. On my C2 I believe the boom is 1.5' OD. It does attached to the clew like is shown but works way better than the i20 did in that configuration.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.