Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Flotation foam in mast  Bottom

• In Rick White's book, Catamaran Racing for the 90's, he suggest installing floation foam in the mast to prevent turttling. It sounds like a good idea to me but I do have a couple of questions.
    (1) Will it add much weight?
    (2) Will it affect the normal way a mast bends adversley?
    (3) What kind of floation material is used?
    (4) How to do it.
    If anyone has any knowledge about doing this, I sure would appreciate some feedback.
  • you dont need foam it will just ad weigh. fix the problem and seal your mast!

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • catman42In Rick White's book, Catamaran Racing for the 90's

If you have the blue hardback, throw it out.
    The vastly updated yellow paperback is the version to read.

optikidyou dont need foam it will just add weight. fix the problem and seal your mast!

Seal the rivets, end caps and any other holes drilled in your mast. The foam adds weight/traps water/loses its seal with time and exposure to heat and cold cycles.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • As others have said, you don't need foam. As long as your mast doesn't leak, the only thing adding foam will do is add weight (making it more likely to turtle). If your mast leaks, seal it up. If you're really concerned about turtling, get a mast head float (Hobie Bob).

sm
  • i've added a foot slug of microcell foam to the top of my mast

carved carefully to shape and lathered in sealant before being forced in

it may be more likely to capsize with that 70grams acting on the end of a 9mtr mast

but i fail to see how that makes it more likely to turtle...

Edited by erice on Nov 27, 2013 - 04:41 AM.
  • The problem is over years and years of hot/cold/condensation and leaks that allow water into the mast ... the foam will break down and hold water... this can add a few pounds to the mast. Not a great thing (esp at the top of the mast)

That being said. If you are prone to capsizing, adding new foam WILL add to buoyancy to the mast IF it gets water into it during a capsize (or other) but don't expect that foam to have a 20 year life and should be removed and replaced after a few years

A simple solution to avoid turtle is:
    a. right the boat fast (or at least get someone on the righting line to help balance the cat
    b. swim out and put a life jacket under the mast head
    c. dont capsize

Quotebut i fail to see how that makes it more likely to turtle...
  • ericebut i fail to see how that makes it more likely to turtle

Assuming the mast is water-tight, then adding foam inside the mast increases the mast's weight without increasing it's bouyancy therefore making the boat more prone to capsizing and turning turtle. If your mast is water-tight and you're still concerned about turning turtle, then you need to add flotation to the OUTSIDE of the mast (either a Hobie bob or some other external device). If your mast is not water-tight, then adding foam inside the mast may help prevent turning turtle (since the foam would displace water) but a much better solution would be to seal up the mast properly.

sm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.