Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

SC17 jib Zipper replacement  Bottom

• Has anyone ever replaced the zipper on an SC17 jib? How difficult would it be to replace myself? How much would it cost to have the zipper replaced? Also, mine is a roller furling jib and is faded on the outer wrap from being left out in the sun. It is dark blue in color. Is it possible to dye the sail to bring the faded portion back to the original color?
    Thanks,
    Ward
  • for the zipper, find a sail shop or maybe an upholstery shop for that and to keep the jib healthy, just use a jib snorkel when not sailing. i've gotten a couple from RacedayTramp on ebay, just measure the jib so everything gets covered and check out what he has. i use a hobie 18sx on my hobie 16 no problems and they seem good quality imho.

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • I had the zipper replaced on my SC15 jib a few years ago at a local sail shop in NJ and zipper and labor was about $75. He did a great job, but I also took it in off season and gave him plenty of time. I find this worked well with him, as there was no pressure to complete it quickly, and I had no need for the item over the winter, anyway.
    I can't help on the doing it yourself. I assume with the right machine, it wouldn't be too bad, but that's a guess on my part.
    Jib snorkel is a great way to go, as CatsailorMike noted.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Flake & fold your jib up carefully & place in the medium flat rate U.S. postal box ($12) and send to Simon Jakeman, 3661 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, Ca 92108. He'll replace it for $55 plus $12 to send it back (payment thru paypal). Phone at 619-358-0055. Dye will not help the leach. It is sun rotted and will very soon split when you sheet in. Ask Jake for a price to sew another piece over the rotted piece (on the inside of wrapped sail). Pete

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.