Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

More CA Offshore Racing- Milt Ingram July 2014  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Well, in the Shifting Sands of Egypt department, it appears that I may be moving my daughter into an out-of-state dorm the weekend of next year's Tri-Point race. So I am wondering who is up for the bigger Anacapa race in July, hmmmm? It is called the Milt Ingram, and is a bit longer than the Tri-Point at 42 NM, and has an upwind start to Platform Grace. It and goes around Anacapa counter-clockwise, and final run is a beam reach back to Ventura harbor. It is exactly what we love about the Tri-Point, but 8 NM longer. It is usually the second Satruday in July. I'll post details when PBYC posts their calendar in Feb. I just wanted to get you thinking about this. It is run by the same great club that puts on the Tri-Point.
    July.
    Anacapa.
    42NM of Adrenaline.
    Visualize it...
    Bob

Edited by klozhald on Nov 12, 2013 - 04:07 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • This race is open to beachcats... you'll need five entries for PBYC to run the class... One year we had five entered, but only three boats showed up...

I have not made this race in the past few years as this is the week we usually take our family vacation, and this year is no different...

Have fun!

Edited by JohnES on Nov 13, 2013 - 09:31 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • [quote=JohnES]This race is open to beachcats... you'll need five entries for PBYC to run the class... One year we had five entered, but only three boats showed up...

John the entry form for this year said beach cats for TriPoint only. Talked with Richard about next year and he is "noodling it."
    Street rumor is the perpetual trophy for Ingram is being applied to TriPoint. This is a good thing, I just wanna race the Ingram as well.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I would be into it. I did the Frenchies Rum run last year with the H18 but I just got a SC20 for races just like this.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • genehackerI would be into it. I did the Frenchies Rum run last year with the H18 but I just got a SC20 for races just like this.

Geno, we'd love to have you race with us. Your Supercat is perfect for both these offshore races. I'l send you a message when the races get posted- should be in Feb. The Milt Ingram is in July and the Tri-point is August.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • That would be awsome. I am looking forward to them.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • AM VARY INTERESTED IN THE RACE AND WILL CHECK BACK FOR MORE INFO

--
    jellis
    prindle 18-2
    orange county ca.
    --
  • I'm up for this race. I've done it several times, one time unofficial and single-handed!!! Not recommended!!! The other time we got to the west end of Anacapa and were flagged to go back to Ventura because of the rough conditions. We took a Disqualification because we decided to go around the island as per the original race instructions!!! What rough conditions, child's play!!!!!!!! It's similar to the Tri-Points Ocean Race with an upwind leg to one of the oil rigs and then a reach to the west side of Anacapa Island (counter-clockwise) with a great sail back to Ventura.
    The new launch ramp will be in place by this date, all new docks! Hope to see quite a few catamarans out there. Fair winds and great sailing in 2014. By the way Robert Videan, the helmet is blue (Walzie's old batting helmet) and comes with Harbor Freight safety glasses!!! Bob Martinez, Vice-Commodore and Multihull Captain, Ventura Sailing Club.

P.S. New rigging is highly recommended and Murray Marine is only about 12 miles up the coast from Ventura and Joel can make you up a new set on the spot. Great service and peace of mind. icon_cool

Edited by Dartman on Jan 20, 2014 - 11:10 AM.
  • Looks like Johnathon and I will be on the P-19 again this year. Had a BLAST last year and can't wait to do it again. Looking forward to seeing Dartman and the rest of the crew. Looking like Fleet 42 from Arizona will be there with 5-6 boats this year. I hope Klozhald will be able to make it!!! Lee and David - I20, Manny and Julianne - I20, Brett and crew - I20, Johnathon and I - P19, Jim and crew - HT18, Scott and Greg - N5.8, Greg and crew, N18SQ, Bob and Cutter, P18-2.

Scott Agan
    Commodore - Fleet 42 - Arizona
    G-Cat 5.7

Edited by gcatsailor on Jan 20, 2014 - 11:37 AM.

--
    Scott Agan
    Tempe, Arizona
    Commodore - Fleet 42
    G-Cat 5.7
    --
  • I think I read somewhere that 16 foot boats aren't allowed but what about my NACRA 5.2? It is just over 17 feet. I'd love to do some distance races like this.

--
    1990 Prindle 19MX
    1976 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • They told me last year the 5.2 couldn't enter, had to use the 5.7 or 5.8. It's a free ocean, so you can still make the run, but not enter the race officially.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.2 Restored and heavily modified
    Nacra 5.2 (one under restoration)
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • Thanks for the first hand info.
    That's too bad that I won't be able to officially enter. Seems like the Island Series races are one of the few beach cat races in SoCal and seems like the most fun. Looks like instead of upgrading the 5.2 with a square top main or spinnaker, my best bet is to enjoy her as is and keep an eye out for a deal on a slightly bigger boat. Kind of a shame since I really like the size and weight of the 5.2.

--
    1990 Prindle 19MX
    1976 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • nacraflyerThey told me last year the 5.2 couldn't enter, had to use the 5.7 or 5.8. It's a free ocean, so you can still make the run, but not enter the race officially.

grogthegreatThanks for the first hand info.
    That's too bad that I won't be able to officially enter. Seems like the Island Series races are one of the few beach cat races in SoCal and seems like the most fun. Looks like instead of upgrading the 5.2 with a square top main or spinnaker, my best bet is to enjoy her as is and keep an eye out for a deal on a slightly bigger boat. Kind of a shame since I really like the size and weight of the 5.2.

Yes you can do this, and I have sailed these waters in a 5.2 and a Prindle 16..... But I was a lot younger and not very smart at that time....

What we need are entrants, not renagads, to keep this race going...this is how the yacht club justified spending the money for trophies, chase boat, after race food, etc... If you can't "officially enter" let me know. There are plenty of Inter 20, F18, and other "legal" boats that don't enter because they don't have a crew....

How would you rather do this race; in a VW Bug with no roadside assistance, or on a MBZ 550SL with a 5.5L twin turbo diesel?

Edited by JohnES on Apr 01, 2014 - 03:22 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • John, your points match my thinking.

I would do this if I could enter officially where it would help pay for everything that goes into these races. It seems that the 5.2 has lot more forward hull volume compared to a Hobie 16 which I think are the boats that had issues and caused the 18' plus rule.
    Crewing for someone who normally wouldn't be able to go would be a great option but I also need to be honest about my cat experience level. I've never been on a modern cat with an asymmetrical spinnaker so it wouldn't be fair to a skipper who wanted to compete for me to make his race my first learning experience.

At this point I'll enjoy the 5.2 and see if I can find any other regattas I can enter. By the time next year's race comes around I might have found a killer deal on a larger boat. Kind of off topic but it seems that 18'+ boats are either much heavier, take much longer to setup, and/or are a lot more money when compared to the 5.2.

--
    1990 Prindle 19MX
    1976 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Prindle 18's are easier to sail (no boards), lighter than 5.2 and very reasonable in price. Portsmouth of 74.8 vs 72.1. Pete
  • grogthegreat
    Crewing for someone who normally wouldn't be able to go would be a great option but I also need to be honest about my cat experience level. I've never been on a modern cat with an asymmetrical spinnaker so it wouldn't be fair to a skipper who wanted to compete for me to make his race my first learning experience.

Tell ya what, why not the two of us hook up sometime in late May or June, and I'll take ya out on my F18... This is not a spinnaker race, this race is sheet in, hold on, and scream like hell....... But, I'll teach ya anyway. Some of my best learning experiences were on boats that were well above my comfort level...

Last fall I had my 64 year brother; with no cat and very little sailing experience, driving and manning the spin sheet after about 30 minutes of supervision... in a good 10kt breeze... It is not that hard!!!!!

That said, you and your crew are more than welcome to come and shadow the fleet, but I would prefer that we have entrants.....

pbeglePrindle 18's are easier to sail (no boards), lighter than 5.2 and very reasonable in price. Portsmouth of 74.8 vs 72.1. Pete

Probably one of the easiest boats to set up from trailer to water...

Edited by JohnES on Apr 03, 2014 - 07:02 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • John: I think I'll take you up on that! I'd love to get on a F18 and see/feel all the differences with the old 5.2. Plus I'm sure I'll learn some catamaran basics that I might not be doing right on my own boat.

After we go sailing, I might realize I won't slow anyone down too much; in which case I'd rather crew for someone who normally couldn't enter instead of following the parade on the 5.2.

I definitely need some experience on various 18 and 20 foot cats, as well as my own, before I seriously consider getting anything bigger; but I do know that if I get a new cat, I'll want it to be significantly faster. Otherwise it'd feel more like a step sideways than up.
    Pbegle: If I get a raise at some point this year, maybe you could convince me to get a tornado! I know that I've been drooling over pictures and videos of them.

Well I didn't mean to derail the thread. John, I'm in the Escondido area. Do you normally sail out of LA or San Diego? Please PM me with any details when you have a day in mind.

--
    1990 Prindle 19MX
    1976 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • grogthegreat
    Well I didn't mean to derail the thread. John, I'm in the Escondido area. Do you normally sail out of LA or San Diego? Please PM me with any details when you have a day in mind.

I sail out of Ventura.. Right now our ramp is under construction and I am real busy with work...so were a little out of commission for sailing until May..

Drop me an email at nacradriver at yahoo dot com...

In the interim, maybe Pete can make it down your way with one of his P18s and give a run....

We'll get ya squared away...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Hey Grog, Will soon have Tornados on the beach here on Big Bear Lake and you're welcome to come up for a sail. This is landsail season for us until end of May (45 min down hill at Lucerne), so won't make it to San Diego. Sailing at 45-50 mph too tempting. Pete
  • OK, so it looks like the only beach cats class for this series in going to be in the Tri-Point race in August...

Unless some of you blokes want to enter the Milt...... looks like a dead horse...

I am not going to be in the area for the Milt...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.