Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trying to come back to the cats...  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Thanks to everybody for the suggestions given.
    Someone here at the local sailing school suggested that instead of rigging and using a H14 mainsail on the H16 mast, as previously mentioned, I could custom re-cut one of the mainsails in order to have a smaller, but full-length mainsail to rig on the H16. That way I could use the full mast length, but at the same time reducing the sail area. Battens would have to be shortened also, but that would be left entirely to the sail loft to do. I've already decided to use a roller furling jib. So this is only regarding the main sail. Cost is another thing, but I'm working with that, since this is going to be a custom boat...
    What do you people think?
  • All that said.... I think I'd just go with the full up Hobie 16 setup...

and a furling jib ( 'cuz it's all stock hobie parts, etc... )

and EITHER:
    - reef your H16 mainsail... (some do have reef points)... OR
    - put a Hobie 14 main sail on...

it's easy to find a Hobie 14 mainsail.
    if you don't like it you can sell the Hobie 14 mainsail.

if the custom setup doesn't work... it's custom, and may be hard to sell, etc...

and the Hobie 14 route is just plain easier.

cheers,
    Rob.
  • Thanks for your suggestions.
    There is a Sunday-Racer this very next weekend on the southern part of the island, if all goes as planned I should have the boat home by Tuesday. I have about 3 months to give all the maintenance and adjustments that may be needed. Winter swells are noticeable here, good for the surfers, and I usually don't go out, not even windsurfing. Plus, its the Holidays. I'm going to post an album if I can as I go along.
    Thanks.

Robert
  • winter swell? where are you? Got a 9'6" in the garage that forgot what water feels like... not much on the Miss Gulf Coast... icon_frown
  • This is Puerto Rico, I live in the north coast, we have what is called "Marejada de Los Muertos" Spanish for "Swell of the Dead". Comes from the north. All surfers are getting ready, they say it may hit 8-10 feet range.
    Many sport-fishing boats are heading north also. They say the swell is heavily loaded with dolphin (mahi-mahi), wahoo, tunas and several types of sailfish and billfish. That is a pretty expensive sport. If I go fishing is only when I'm diving.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.