Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

separating corner members from ponttons on a 1974 hobie 14  Bottom

• removed the bolts and it seems the aluminum corners have become one with the aluminum mounting posts extruding from the pontoons . tried liquid wrench but nothing. any other ideas?
  • markcrewremoved the bolts and it seems the aluminum corners have become one with the aluminum mounting posts extruding from the pontoons . tried liquid wrench but nothing. any other ideas?

markcrew,

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com,

I just removed the platform from a 1976 Hobie 16. That particular one wasn't so bad but I did have to use "persuasion" via a section of 2x6 for padding and pounding upwards with a heavy hammer on each corner gradually lifting it off.

If yours doesn't budge at all with some mallet blows (don't dent or bend your aluminum) then at some time your frame might have been epoxied to the hull (not pontoon) pylons.

http://thebeachcats.com/n…-for-better-performance/

In that case you'll probably need to use heat to soften the connection and expand the casting. Don't burn up your casting or catch your boat on fire when you are doing this, I've never tried it so hopefully others will have real-life help to offer.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Replacement castings run about $10 each, don't be afraid to destroy it if required.

Otherwise, flip it upside down and spray some penetrating oil in there and give it some time.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • You probably have but I've got to ask, have you unlaced the tramp?

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • in order to remove a casting sometimes it requires complete disassembly of the tramp frame. It is possible there is a build up between the casting and pylon. If it's a base like lime or salt distilled white vinegar will loosen it without damaging the metal. It takes some soak time if its really caked up.
  • nacra55You probably have but I've got to ask, have you unlaced the tramp?

icon_biggrin I didn't, laziness does make things more difficult.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Pontoons? Arggghhhhh! Relieve tramp tension and dead blow mallet. Vinegar idea is a good one so is good old WD40!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.