Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Interior Pics, 84 Hobie 18 Coleman Hull  Bottom

• FWIW... can be found here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/interior-pics-84-hobie-18-coleman-hull-48815.html#post661760

--
    Leave places better for having been there; respect others,
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Congress needs fixing, fix it!
    --
  • The hulls and deck are both sandwich construction however the bottoms of the hulls (the keels) are solid glass as are the areas around the crossbar anchors. I have one of these boats (1985 but same construction). It's interesting. This must have been Hobie's early attempt at vacuum bagging the hull because all over the inside of the hull surface are resin "puckers". They must not have known to use a bleeder cloth so the excess resin didn't get removed from the hull, it just got pulled up to the surface. The later boats are much smoother on the inside so Hobie must have either abandoned the vacuum bagging or they got it figured out. If you have one of these generation boats, you definitely want to reinforce the front crossbar area as this is a known failure point for the "red glue" hulls.

Also looks like someone removed the foam floatation blocks from the hulls in the referenced pictures. I would put some type of flotation back in there before sailing the boat.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Nov 05, 2013 - 04:02 AM.
  • Yes. I removed the flotation...only one block of foam and the plastic cover was ripped open and a bit sogged and heavy...30 lbs. Replacing with 4 inch foam pool thingies...cheap and easy to install. There was no foam forward...

And thanks for the info, I wondered what the ridges were from and it makes perfect sense.

I installed 2 new ports and replaced the old amidships port and someone here was kind enough to inform me that the sandwich was not wood...

If there is solid glass, it must be along keel line, but I fixed a 12 inch crack just forward of the box and seemed thin...

I figured crack was due to way hull sat on pin-point rollers, etc.

I am resurrecting the 18 port and a 16 starboard as a outrigger...and pics are on SA and design.net somewhere.

Next spring will have to wash the loose foam out...anal me and get the rest finished...

Cannot pub pics here?

Edited by BobBill on Nov 06, 2013 - 07:17 AM.

--
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    --
  • you can but you have to link to them (they must be uploaded to some server with www access)
    QuoteCannot pub pics here?
  • MN3, yes, I know that, but sites that do not allow direct up load are, IMHO, dimly mastered. Just a dig.

--
    --
  • BobBillMN3, yes, I know that, but sites that do not allow direct up load are, IMHO, dimly mastered. Just a dig.

Hey!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon...Hey, no sleepin on the beach, chicksa might lee bow ya... :o)

I used to write code, I understand what is involved and that pics might also require larger server space, but, well, you understand.

It is what it is. I like Occham...simple is best, at least for me.

By the way, you want to load the pics and pin them somewhere as a help, go for it. I know pics help.

--
    --
  • Allowing image uploads in posts is definitely on the upgrade list, but will have to wait for the next major underlying software update.

But there is an advantage to the way it is done now, even if it is more difficult. When helpful pictures are posted in a forum or placed in image services like Photobucket, those pictures tend to disappear over time, or get buried in the history of the forum.

When they are uploaded as a group to the Technical Help albums then they are available always as a reference.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.