Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New to Tampa area  Bottom

• Hi

I moved to Tampa and am looking for a good place to put in and or store my boat (maybe even mast up) Ideally something close to or on the gulf.

I have an 18sx so prefer deep water as the dagger boards go in a ways. I would also like a shadow or sailing buddy to keep a weather eye out for me until I can do some solo test righting. My sx has a bob and can be a bear to solo right. I got a bag and am looking to try it out but would like someone around just in case. Any other help and or information would be appreciated. I am not a racer just like to get some air under the tramp and have some fun. Crew\ Balast always welcome!!!
  • Welcome to Tampa! The best place to sail in this entire area is Dunedin Causeway in Dunedin (which is north of Clearwater). Just take Curlew Road (SR 586) all the way to the West end and you will see the launch site. We launch on the West end of the causeway before the last (small) bridge to Honeymoon Island. This area is ONLY for non-motorized craft launch so the jet skis have to stay at the East end of the causeway. You can back right up to the water, unload and take a 2 minute sail out the Pass and you are into the Gulf! There are bathrooms, a food concession and plenty of other sailors to help step the mast, etc, if you need a hand.

For stick up storage your best bet is either Davis Island Yacht Club at the South end of Davis Island or the Clearwater Sailing Center on Sand Key (just South of Clearwater Beach). Another GREAT place is the Gulfport Yacht Club in Gulfport (WAY South St Pete). This place sits on Biscayne Bay nad has a very active schedule. No direct access to the Gulf but great protected sailing and 2 buoy races a month!

We are having a two day buoy regatta on May 10-11 if you want to come join or we have distance races almost once a month. Check out our website at www.tampabaycatsailors.com for the complete Calendar.

Send me a note if you need more information.

See you on the water.

John Hoopes
    TBCSI Vice-Commodore
  • Not knowing what part of the bay you are in... on my side... the east side, E.G. Simmons Park is very nice. A bit shallow exiting if you miss the narrow but short channel leaving the turn basin. Medium to high tides usually compensates for the shallows. Daggerboards would have to be raised a bit. Generally 18 inches of water is typcial of the navigable shallows. If you are not experienced at approaching a floating dock under sail, this is a good place to learn it. Almost no beaching areas. Not allowed to beach on the swimming area but there are areas to do so.

Another place totally ignored by cat sailors is Bishop Harbour. It is wilder and overall shallow enough to stand in even at high tide. It is two miles by two miles of bay and mangrove islands. It dumps into a beautiful area of tampa bay and has lots of sea life in it It is just south of Port Manatee.

I sail a 18 foot G-Cat, no daggers, yellow and white.

Deepsees
  • QuoteAnother GREAT place is the Gulfport Yacht Club in Gulfport (WAY South St Pete). This place sits on Biscayne Bay nad has a very active schedule

Ummmm i think you would have to be a few 100 miles south of st pete to be in biscane bay.... (Miami)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.