Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

My new baby!!!!!  Bottom

• I just picked up an 82' Hobie 18 in pristine condition for $300 with trailer. It was stored in a barn for many years then kept outside for five.
    What is the best way to remove oxidation?

Otherwise, the only minus was it didnt have a mainsail. Oh well, its starting to get late for us northerners to put boats in the water, so I have to wait.
    I do have a question about the Magnum wings though, is there still interest in using these for Hobie 18 sailors, I'm afraid the width of the harbor I launch from and the constant hoisting of the boat will minimize the fun of the wings and make them more of a nuisance. Anyways, how does the Hobie 18 relate in speed with something like the Nacra 5.2?
  • congrats!

its not to late to sail... its still summer and the water is warmest at the end of the summer.. get wet!

oxidation can be removed with FSR (fiberglass stain remover) available at west marine or try catsailor,com, but sun damage (UV) is a different strory.

Look into new sails from a good sailloft like wirlwind sails (tell them i suggested them :) ) dont skimp on new sails,.. they will make a big difference.

H18 are great boats... you can try without the wings if you like, but i love the wings.. they give you alot more room and are not a hastle to use

the H18 is a very different design and hard to compare to the nacra's but it is a good boat.. it isnt the best in big surf due to the long straight hulls but it is a tank. be careful with the boards in shallow water... and you may want to upgrade to the newer style rudder castings (big upgrade, but worth it) the older style ones dont pop up well... if at all
  • What part of the "north" are you from... do you have pics of the boat?
  • I live in Springfield, IL. The lake I sail on is shallow so it gets cold fast with late summer/early fall and the fact that I go to college 150 miles away doesn't help my sailing addiction. Unfortunately, there aren't any other cat sailors in central Illinois that race here. Best place is Carlyle, lots of Hobies there at CSA.
    But, I will be content to sail my father's Playcat "Turbo" until the ice sailing begins. Will get pics once I put the 18 back together. Wanted to check under the crossbeams for any fiberglass wear--there was none.

Anyone have a set of good 18 sails they want to get off their hands? If not, would a Hobie 17 main work?

yellowhulls
  • Hey Yellowhulls........
    Thats the jib ya got from me, for your 'Playcat'... How's it workin out??? send me some picts of it....

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • The jib works surprisely well, I can definitely feel the added power and now the boat can actually turn icon_biggrin
    If I hadn't gotten a Hobie 18, the Escape Playcat would have also gotten an asymmetrical spinnaker. That would have driven the Racing Committee crazy trying to figure out what it rates. icon_evil
    I am still surprised how well the escape sails, for all the criticism the company had gotten. Very fast entry level boat for those new to cat sailing.
    But the Hobie 18 called me and I had to buy her. icon_wink
    I'll get pics for both boats up shortly.

(The Escape might be for sale soon for any interested)

yellowhulls

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.