Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

So if I'm making trapeze lines from Amsteel...  Bottom

• I'm considering making trapeze lines from one of the newer synthetic lines.
    Which type of line has worked well for anyone?
    What type of thimbles did you use aloft at the masthound?
    Did you bother with thimbles at the user end or just splice a loop for a mini-block?
    What handles worked for you?
    All suggestions / thoughts appreciated.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 28, 2013 - 03:30 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I inherited a setup with spliced loops reinforced with a cover up top and small (3/8" ID) thimbles spliced in at the bottom. T-handle load is taken up by the lower thimble.

Sailed with the setup for 5 regattas this year with no observable wear. So far I really like them.

Line is some flavor of 3/16" dyneema - I'm guessing the Yale Ultrex 12 based on color and feel.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Amsteel would work great, we use it tie safety booms to anchors in front of hydropower plants. Definitely use thimbles and a brummel splice. Also consider getting the top couple of feet where it will be rubbing against the other rigging coated or covered. Seeing wear at the bottom is easy.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Yeah, wear at the top is the issue. Also consider using sailmaker's thimbles, no sharp edges.
  • Do some searches here. There was a thread about a year ago. IIRC the consensus was that they chafe pretty badly at the top.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Then put a cover on them at the top! That is what I am doing, using 7/64" amsteel. I used regular thimbles at the top, the sail makers are much more expensive and I didn't notice better chafe protection with the sail makers thimbles. On the bottom make sure you use a cover when you loop the amsteel through your roller cleat, otherwise it will chafe.

Nearly everyone is using these on the F18 these days. They are stronger, lighter and cheaper than stainless wires.

-Sam
  • What life are you getting Sam?
    I was going to go this route, but shied away due the threads a while ago regarding chafe near the top. Plus I had a roll of wire sitting in the parts bin, so I remade them with wire, & added a 3:1 height adjuster that came off the wrecked 5.2.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • samc99usOn the bottom make sure you use a cover when you loop the amsteel through your roller cleat, otherwise it will chafe.

So instead of terminating the trap wire into a thimble, you are integrating it into a roller cleat, like a clam cleat? What handle did you use above the cleat?

Edited by klozhald on Aug 29, 2013 - 03:46 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.