Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Stop sleeve and halyard hook  Bottom

• Purchased this '82 Hobie 16 and trying to learn to sail it. With help from this forum I have been able to correct some wrong rigging and basically get it into better shape. One proplem that I can't seem to correct is the inability to lock the stop sleeve in the halyard hook on the mast when I raise the main sail. I am getting the sail up all the way and I am pulling the halyard forward to clear the hook. I have tried this with the jib tensioned and not rigged at all. If I just try it without the main attached, it is no problem to catch the hook. So before I try anything else (like move the stop sleeve) I thought I would just check to see if anyone else has experienced this problem on their Hobie 16 and if so, how did they correct it. This mast does not have a comtip, whatever that is.

Will appreciate any advise you can give me.
  • sounds like the main isn't going all the way up. to check, hoist main and flip boat on the beach and check to make sure it's all the way up. if halyard stop sleeve catches with no sail, there's something keeping the sail from reaching the top.

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • On the all aluminum (non-comptip) mast, the problem is often that the stop sleeve is hanging up inside the masthead. Try raising the last bit while standing WAY forward.....like out at the bridle. Once it's up, you have to keep significant downward tension on it as you walk back to engage it in the hook. Otherwise, it'll slip back up.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • catman, take mast and main out into yard, lay mast on its side, hook main halyard to main sail and insert bolt rope into sail track on mast, pull sail up mast using halyard untill sail hits the top of mast, check to see if sleeve reaches hook. Sometime PO's use wrong halyard, I had same problem on my P16 untill I did as above, halyard was not original Prindle halyard, ordered used one from Pete and problem was solved. Now I have to work on problem of halyard jumping off mast sheaves and jamming with sail up, had to flip my P16 2ce last sail to clear halyard, will be ordering 2 mast head sheaves from Murrays here pretty soon.

H16 main halyard with shackle

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/02-0273-50.jpg
  • PS, check to see if sail track on mast is free from obstructions and has not been "pinched" from being dropped....... icon_biggrin
  • Ordered my CompTip halyard from Pete in CA too (pbegle), months ago.... Finally got it rigged..... the halyard was 18' short, had to splice on a 1/4" line to it ( shoulda just bought new OEM ~cheaper in the end ) and i too have a hard time getting main all the way up. my all aluminum mast is easy to hook into. The Comptip area does seem a bit narrower however.
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.