Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Solcat righting bag  Bottom

• Does anybody have a righting bag for a solcat 18? I flipped mine a few weeks ago and haven't taken it out since, but if I get a righting bag I think I will be more comfortable with sailing it. If anyone knows of a brand that works well with a solcat, I would appreciate the help!

--
    Evan
    1978 Solcat 18
    Duluth, MN
    --
  • on ebay look for the estore- colorado bag company, they have the small size, and larger 160 lb size. i picked up the larger of the two for mine. havent had to use it yet though. the bag colapses down accordian style and stores nice. i put carabeaners on shock cord and ran it the length of the center bar to tuck the excess sheet line, righting bag, paddle ect. under and it doesnt shift around.
    they also have some tramp. bags that clip to the tramp lacing. that are sweet to stow righting line, ect....

Eric
    74 solcat
    wisconsin rapids, wi
  • murray's
    large righting bag
  • Quoteon Ebay look for the estore- colorado bag company, they have the small size, and larger 160 lb size

+1
    I ordered that from Colorado, use it on the N5.7. I mostly sail it solo, & can self right in a good blow, but for less than 20mph wind I need the bag. It is attached to a small block set that gives me 3:1. The bag is pre attached at the correct point on the righting line.
    Fill,(you need less water as the wind gets stronger) pull bag up with tackle, cleat, then put your shoulder in front of bag & hike out.
    I added a small line to the bottom of th ebag. Once yu right, it can be hard to retrieve the bag when you are drifting. The line on the bottom causes the bag to collapse when pulled, then retrieval is easy.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74269&g2_serialNumber=6

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Brilliant~!
    Quote The line on the bottom causes the bag to collapse when pulled, then retrieval is easy.
  • I picked up a similar system through Murray's on-line with the small block set. Trialed it in a controlled capsize and it worked perfectly; then once again while out having fun - self-recovery is essential!!!

Edited by virginiasailor on Aug 12, 2013 - 11:46 AM.
  • Any righting bag will work, but Murrays does offer the best value IMO. In the end, the best one is the one you know how to use, and have practiced with. Good technique and prior planning will do more to combat the stress of a righting exercise anyway. I can usually right the boat without a bag by myself in 5 knots of wind or better, as long as I get the mast pointed into the wind. But I'm 6'-4" and 215lbs... Bottom line; I've got one if I need it, and I know how to use it.

Lots of good searchable subject matter for righting on this site and several books available that explain the process from start to finish in detail. So study up then go practice in a controlled environment (with friends or even on the beach,) before heading out on your own.

Edited by solsailer18 on Aug 12, 2013 - 09:45 PM.

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the Colorado bag company! It sounds like a very well thought out product. I have a question though, what do you do if your catamaran flips completely over, with the mast pointing straight down?

--
    Evan
    1978 Solcat 18
    Duluth, MN
    --
  • I guess you will need motor boat or jet ski to pull you over. I will suggest to be proactive and seal the mast compleatly, which is the least expansive thing you can do. Knowing how heavy SolCat mast is you may need to buy a bob to prevent mast from going straight down.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Quote what do you do if your catamaran flips completely over, with the mast pointing straight down?

I did this last year, solo on my N5.7, a 19' boat. I posted the experience, I'll try to find the link.
    As mentioned, make sure your mast is sealed.
    I got the righting line & brought it around the bow of downwind hull, climbed up on the hull,(skeg hulls are VERY hard on the shins) then hiked out while standing right on the bottom of the bow. I chose the downwind hull, figuring as I sank the bow, it would create resistance & help, (along with the underwater mast & sail) with the righting moment.
    In only a few seconds, as the boat tried to roll 90*, the mast floated to the surface & the boat rolled onto it's side. I then had a "normal" situation to deal with.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Good to know, thanks!

--
    Evan
    1978 Solcat 18
    Duluth, MN
    --
  • i flipped my solcat 18 for the first time fri. i weigh 170 and there is no way that i could right it. a boater came by and we lifted the mast from the top and walked it toward the boat than used the shroud to right it.
  • I should have mentioned that that experience was in a 20kt blow. I too weigh in at 175, if the wind is light I need a righting bag.
    If the wind is light, you have to work to turtle the boat though. It is when the boat goes over in a blow, immediately starts drifting downwind, the sail digs in like a chisel, & the wind pushes you to turtle.
    If the wind is light, as long as you don't hang on the upper hull/shrouds, & the mast is sealed & has positive buoyancy it won't turtle immediately.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.