Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need a Supercat Expert  Bottom

• I have what I believe to be a 1981 SC 17. Through marriage, divorce and raising my 15 year old son alone it's time to sail and he's ready. Ok TODAYS problem... While trying to screw in my shroud chain-plate to the hull, all three screws holes are seem to be stripped. I don't know how they attached inside so I don''t know what my options are. My first and least favorite thought is to create an access (cut out) on the inside of the hull and glass a plate. And ideas are appreciated.
  • Call Aquarius sail. They should be able to help with technical questions on the SC line.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I would retap to the very next size and put in new bolts using silicone sealant. I do not see the need to cut access holes. You also may want to call Aquarius, I am sure they would be glad to help.
  • i am guessing here, but they will most likely have a backing plate and bolts inside the hull. If the bolts are welded to the backing plate and simply stripped, tapping should do the trick. it is doubtful all threads stripped at the same time, and the bolts have dropped to the floor (inside hull) and some access port will be needed to get the bolt heads on the screws.

fleshpedI have what I believe to be a 1981 SC 17. Through marriage, divorce and raising my 15 year old son alone it's time to sail and he's ready. Ok TODAYS problem... While trying to screw in my shroud chain-plate to the hull, all three screws holes are seem to be stripped. I don't know how they attached inside so I don''t know what my options are. My first and least favorite thought is to create an access (cut out) on the inside of the hull and glass a plate. And ideas are appreciated.
  • I'm not an expert but I'll take a look.
    I have a SC15. There should be a metal backing plate to receive the chain plate fasteners.It is fixed inside the hull. On my boat they were #10
    sheet metal screws. I cleaned the holes really well and filled them with West System thickened with aluminum powder. I coated the screws with a thin coat of mold release wax and screwed them in without the chain plates and let cure. This put threads in the holes in the fiberglass outside of the backing plates. I bedded down the chain plates with 5200.
    The idea of upping the fastener size is a good one. Tapping for a machine screw is also valid. Work your way up in size to the next fastener that holds.
    The two links included are the places for all things Super Cat. Tom Haberman at the factory site is most helpful.
    We will look for you on the owners site. GH

http://owners.aquarius-sail.com/phpBB3/index.php?sid=c37d5b36a5c982b80c391533

http://www.aquarius-sail.com/

Edited by gahamby on Aug 01, 2013 - 09:16 AM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • There should indeed be a glassed in or bonded metal backing plate inside the hull. My preference would be to drill and tap to the next larger fastener size, or as gahmby suggests, keep going up in size til the screws bite solidly. You may need to drill out the chain plate to accept the larger fasteners. When doing the drilling and tapping, you should see metal shavings, if you don't, then you'll need to go inside to reattach the backing plate. Use loctite on the threads of the new fasteners.

Dave

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.