Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Non race legal performance options  Bottom

• Anyone have any suggestions for performance modifications/gear for a H18 without regard to race requirements. I saw someone added an oversized mailsail on their inter 20. What is the thought process on whether or not to over size the mainsail? Another novice question... is it possible to use a high aspect jib on a H18?

Edited by tbox on Jul 16, 2013 - 10:43 AM.
  • You can race with all modifications using an appropriate rating.

What would you use this boat for? You can put a blade jib on it, but I wouldn't do that unless you have a spin and a self tacker. If you were not buoy racing, I wouldn't bother.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • QuoteAnyone have any suggestions for performance modifications/gear for a H18

NEW SAILS = putting a turbo in your engine (with diminishing returns)
    squartop main
    oversized jib*
    oversized main*
    lighter material sails (dacron is HEAVY)
    lighter battens
    new composite blocks (not the old heavy metal ones)
    ligher / non absorbent lines
    high tech lines instead of trap wires
    racing rudders (lighter, stronger)
    bottom job (scratches, dents, etc add to drag)
    rudder / dagger job (redo edges / add material where "sanded off")
    replace the boom with a small alum tube (weight savings)
    lose 25lbs / no ice in your cooler (reduce/remove all excess weight)

by the time you pay for all this ... you coulda purchased a faster / newer boat

*the drag created by these non-stock sails may not be optimal with your boat design and may not be that much of an improvement in the end (but they work on my boat)

QuoteWhat is the thought process on whether or not to over size the mainsail?

Square Top would be better than over-sized in my opinion. squar tops bleed off extra wind aloft and help depower and avoid capsize. A bigger sail would just be more horsepower

QuoteAnother novice question... is it possible to use a high aspect jib on a H18?
    Possible yes, good idea? no - would lose lots of downwind power.

I would recommend to a novice: do no un-needed upgrades your first season or 2, spend your money on lessons, books and race entry fees. Even if you don't like/want to race ... it's a great way to meet the locals, and learn what to do (just by following them in races)

Edited by MN3 on Jul 16, 2013 - 10:39 AM.
  • What type of boat do you have? Is there a rule of thumb or something for oversizing sails?
  • bachoYou can race with all modifications using an appropriate rating.

What would you use this boat for? You can put a blade jib on it, but I wouldn't do that unless you have a spin and a self tacker. If you were not buoy racing, I wouldn't bother.

bachoYou can race with all modifications using an appropriate rating.

Going fast for the fun of it. Recreation with the intent to really push the boat.

Does wings + trapse help to add more leverage when the boat is heaving hard in the wind?
  • Thanks for the tips guys very helpful!
  • mystere 5.5 (basically a f18 but with centerboards)
    I had access to Tornado sails (lightly used by pros) and would cut 1' off the top to fit my 30' mast - worked well but not optimal

i have 2 f18 mainsails (they were a bit small)
    i had 1 new main built for me to my specs (made with technora based off a f18 sail + a little in the leach)

I have 2 jib sizes: larger for light air and smaller for heavy air (small was stock 5.5, the bigger one is from a mystere 6.0) i just had a larger one custom made from Diax last week

Rule of thumb? not that i know, a sail maker might know ... but
    what is your goal? more speed? Get a new square top (with a new high tech material and get a new jib (standard size)

QuoteWhat type of boat do you have? Is there a rule of thumb or something for oversizing sails?
  • If your just sailing by yourself on the lake, most enhancements besides a spin are going to be less noticeable without a 2 boat comparison. Wings can add righting moment, but IMO are not something I would use for your purposes.

Hobie 18's hold their value well if in nice and stock condition. I would advise you save pennies and replace the hobie when its time.

You could easily spend $5-6k on the hobie and still get smoked by any F18 or I20 you come across.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • tboxAnyone have any suggestions for performance modifications/gear for a H18 without regard to race requirements. I saw someone added an oversized mailsail on their inter 20. What is the thought process on whether or not to over size the mainsail? Another novice question... is it possible to use a high aspect jib on a H18?Edited by tbox on Jul 16, 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Tell us about your boat? A late model (post 1989) Hobie 18 is the best performance improvement. A Pentax SquareTop sail is a good value if you are buying new sails anyway.

Smaller things like the new EPO3 rudders, bottom job, good condition daggerboards, will all make a difference.

The Hobie 18 sail plan includes a large overlapping jib. It usually doesn't work to modify designers plan that works. The only way I could see improving with a smaller jib would be to use the entire rig from an F18 including the mast, but no way to know if the boat would be balanced. The best you could hope for would be a boat that looks like a slow F18.

But you haven't told us about yourself? You say you aren't racing, the Hobie 18 is really fast and powerful (like nearly all beachcats) in stock form, unless your water is full of rock stars on the latest high-tech catamarans you will already be the fastest thing going.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31849&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • with or without regard for race requirements, the biggest... BIGGEST..... absolutely INSANE upgrade you can make to your boat... or your buddies boat... is working on the nut on the tiller.

Old salts will make a junker boat hum, 'cuz they know the wind, the waves, and HOW TO MAKE THE BOAT sail it's best in those conditions....

READ, SAIL, READ, SAIL, observe, ask questions... try new things... and like already said, get in some races to see how you stack up, then repeat...

otherwise all the stuff to spend money on has already been listed...

but then there's guys that buy a whole new high tech boat 'cuz their last (also new) high tech boat got beat, so whatever path you choose....

at least if you're not fast, you'll still look good w/fancy stuff, right?

like Red Green... if the ladies don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy.

cheers and happy sailing!
    -Rob

yeah... with a square top pentex main... hobie 18, nacra F17 spinnaker...wings I never use, etc etc because it's fun tweaking the boat... but for Hobie offiical racing, everything goes back to stock, and you sail your butt off... gotta learn to drive the boat hard. exciting stuff! take care!

Edited by robpatt on Jul 16, 2013 - 09:07 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.