Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best Time of year for Channel Islands  Bottom

• I have had a long time goal of sailing my beachcat to the California Channel Islands and doing some hiking. Didn't think my H16 would be up for it, but I think my G-Cat 5.7 might be. Whats the best time of year to go? Any other advice? Have a fair amount of East and Gulf coast experience. How different of an animal is the Pacific? Thanks guys, couldn't get better advice if I paid for it.
  • This is a trip for a very experienced and well prepared sailor. There are a lot of issues besides the shear distance. First that come to mind.

The Pacific is Cold! Even in Southern California in the summer.
    Looking at a weather marker near Santa Barbara
    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46054
    Air Temperature (ATMP): 57.6 °F
    5-day plot - Water Temperature Water Temperature (WTMP): 57.7 °F
    5-day plot - Wind Speed at 10 Meters Wind Speed at 10 meters (WSPD10M): 21.4 kts
    5-day plot - Wind Speed at 10 Meters Wind Speed at 20 meters (WSPD20M): 23.3 kts

Big swells like you don't see in the Atlantic, much less the Gulf.

Big currents around and through the islands.

Massive amounts of shipping traffic, big giant auto piloted container ships headed to busy ports.

But it's a cool trip if you can do it, many have, in the early days of this site there was a group that made that trip regularly. At first on Hobie 16's but they needed more carrying capacity, lots did it on Hobie 18's and then on the 20 foot boats.

Old story from a very experienced Island Trip maker who had a bad day in these waters on their Hobie 16.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…l-attempt-on-a-hobie-16/

Good info in the archives
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…hives/v5-i1/feature1.htm

http://www.thebeachcats.c…/wwwcatsail/feature1.htm

If you still want to try it after reading all that then you can be the new Channel Islands reporter and update the info!

TheBeachcats.com does not encourage dangerous behavior and accepts no responsibility for you being frozen or crushed by a cruise ship. icon_evil

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I want to do this as well, and have been talking with CA sailors about it and doing some reading of documented trips online.

Here is advice that I have heard:

1. Get a group together. You are traveling 25+ miles from shore, and lots can happen that other boats can help you with- e.g lost provisions en route, hitting marine life (sunfish!!!). A powerboat as chaseboat is also wise.

2. Make it a two day trip- the weather can vary a lot in a single day and you may not get home, so bring the camping gear and use it.

3. Make sure there is somewhere to camp at your destination. Each island is different, and they are owned/occupied by various organizations, so plan on talking with them and getting permissions/permits in advance.

4. As Damon mentioned, the waves are a consideration for a H16. Some of the races out in the channel do not allow anything smaller than 18 feet LOA (the Tri-Point is one). Waves present every 11 seconds, but when the wind is up they are faster and higher. The H16 has minimal hull flotation and is easily swamped in rough conditions. Your G-Cat would be a good choice.

5. There are plenty of stories about people doing this alone or in one day. Think about capsizing and losing your provisions 20 miles offshore. What are you gonna do? What are you going to eat- where will you stay the night- can you get to shore in what's left of daylight? In rough conditions it is difficult to help out another beachcat, but if you are alone you have no help at all.

I have a notebook of research on this, and I appologize for going on and on. The fleets that did this frequently to Catalina Island, decades ago, always did it as a group with a chase/provisions boat and spent the night on the Island (after much partying, whether they were near the town or not!). Some of the people that have done this are members here, so maybe we will hear from them. My queue is full for the summer, but I do have some time next summer...

Edited by klozhald on Jul 18, 2013 - 03:27 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.