Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Slack in shroud lines?  Bottom

• During my last sail, I noticed that when we were moving along pretty well that there was some slack in the leeward shroud line. Is that normal? How much preload should be on those things. We were far from flying a hull, just clipping along nicely.

It looked like I could probably have dropped one notch on the adjuster on that side. I could tighten both sides up one notch before I raise the mast next time, is that a good idea?

Thanks

Kevin
  • Yep, that's normal. Recommend you do a search here for a rig tuning advice. The entire rig should be adjusted on the beach. So, the amount of slack you are seeing might be right or not....hard to tell until you tune it.

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • I found the archived article about rigging your boat....take a look.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…4ffb682a7d8c8b0735a7bfee

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • 1. Pin one shroud where you want it for sailing, pin the other at the top.

2. Raise your mast and pin your forestay where you want it for sailing.

3. Have crew on the trap wire of the shroud pinned at the top, unpin and repin in the proper hole. My crew has to bounce for me to get the pin in the hole I want.

Rig should be tight but the mast still rotate. Sailing upwind the leeward shroud will always go slack except in the lightest of wind.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks Guys, great article Bert!
  • as a general rule of thumb - the stronger the wind, the tighter your rigging should be (including forestay & jib halyard)

exception is the older h18 races who like a very loose rig in heavy air

QuoteRig should be tight but the mast still rotate. Sailing upwind the leeward shroud will always go slack except in the lightest of wind.
  • nacra551. Pin one shroud where you want it for sailing, pin the other at the top.

2. Raise your mast and pin your forestay where you want it for sailing.

3. Have crew on the trap wire of the shroud pinned at the top, unpin and repin in the proper hole. My crew has to bounce for me to get the pin in the hole I want.

Rig should be tight but the mast still rotate. Sailing upwind the leeward shroud will always go slack except in the lightest of wind.

Word.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.