Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Splicing robline racing sheet to dyneema  Bottom

• Hi All - I want to splice an 8 mm Robline Racing Sheet to dyneema to make a double ended tail for a traveler line. Anyone know how to do this?
  • pasdnousHi All - I want to splice an 8 mm Robline Racing Sheet to dyneema to make a double ended tail for a traveler line. Anyone know how to do this?

Check this out.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75206&g2_serialNumber=4
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…203&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteAnyone know how to do this?

Philip, you're not reading so well today... icon_biggrin

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    QuoteAnyone know how to do this?

Philip, you're not reading so well today... icon_biggrin

EdChris, A picture is worth a thousand words. In your case, make it two thousand.

Pasdnous, do I need to elaborate?

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thanks for the pic. Its looking to me like the dyneema is fed up through the end of the robline, out the side, around and back in and then out the end, and then the end is whipped down? is that it?
  • pasdnousThanks for the pic. Its looking to me like the dyneema is feed up through the end of the robline, out the side, around and back in and then out the end, and then the end is whipped down? is that it?

Yes, you got it. I do it in reverse. Opened up the Robline and feed both bitter ends of the dyneema into the side and out the tail. You then add a brummel splice to the dyneema to lock it. It's no good without the brummel. If you look closely at the large picture you can see it. I also taper the end of the Robline slightly to make it transition smoothly before it gets its whipping.

--
    Philip
    --
  • awesome, thanks philip!!!
  • QuotePasdnous, do I need to elaborate?

Quote I do it in reverse. Opened up the Robline and feed both bitter ends of the dyneema into the side and out the tail. You then add a brummel splice to the dyneema to lock it. It's no good without the brummel.

That was precisely why my tongue-in-cheek post, sheeesshhh, don't take things so seriously.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Must be the heat. People need to chill a bit, this isnt the 'other' forum. We are the relatively nice helpful forum.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Phillip, how about end splicing to line racing sheet to dynema 12 strand for a spin haulyard?
  • We use 5mm Swiftcord, it's a single braid, and end splice with locking brummels, amsteel 3mm for spin halyards.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • i use 5 or 6 mm robine racing sheet - no need to splice or taper at all
  • azcatPhillip, how about end splicing to line racing sheet to dynema 12 strand for a spin haulyard?

Do this and keep it simple. Racing sheet (as most of the quality braids) have a core that is excellent for your taper/tails. All you need is about 55' to make an 80' tapered halyard.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75213&g2_serialNumber=4
    Open the racing sheet cover about 18" from the end and expose the core. (the cover will be your bury)
    Work the cover back about 25', then taper the 18" cover, and bury. You end up with an 80' halyard with 25' of taper for the spin head, 35' of cover/core in the middle for the spin cleat, and 25' of cover only making up the retrieval section.

Adjust your lengths to your specific boat. You want the bury to end up just above the cleat, so that you are cleating into the double braid. So simple a cave man . . . .

http://www.thebeachcats.c…207&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Edited by mummp on Jul 18, 2013 - 08:51 AM.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Ive already got to line racing sheet on order, I will do as you suggest with the robline. Thanks.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.