Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Its Official... 6" X 6" Storm Hole in port Hull between pylons..... Bummer/Questions  Bottom

• A storm came through the mid south flipping my $1000 Hobie Cat on its side and onto the trailer hitch of another H16 parked nearby and punched a nasty hole straight through the deck of my port hull, right between the pylons. No other damage at all.... I'm VERY bummed to say the least... just put on a $350 tramp, bought $300 EPO rudder setup, All new mast cleats ect ect ect and have a brand new Hobie 16 sailor showing up In the morning to see how rigging, sailing and launching a catamaran can be a fun, easy event.... icon_rolleyes
    I've obviously got 2X the cash invested in the boat than its worth but the hulls are rock solid other than new damage. Do i save the sails and additions and push the entire boat into a dump site ASAP or spend another crap load of time/epoxy/fiberglass/PITA to try and fix an already 35yo boat..... or sell all the good parts and buy a H18SX with wings?!
    I'm not looking forward to the news in either direction i'm afraid icon_frown
    Tim

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/Hobie%2016%20Damage/IMG_1797_zpsea360000.jpg
    http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/Hobie%2016%20Damage/IMG_1801_zps95e29387.jpg http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/Hobie%2016%20Damage/IMG_1800_zps8c52ad0a.jpg
    http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/Hobie%2016%20Damage/IMG_1798_zps8bd55e60.jpg

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Buy a replacement hull?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • OUCH !!! Talk about being between a rock and a hard place....Well, if ya patch it up from the inside ( cause you'll have to put a backing on it)... Then the outside work !!! That'll look like a sore thumb.... I like Yurdels idea. Then sell it and buy a 18... Time to up-grade

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I wouldn't say you'd have to scrap the hull. There was a Hobie Hotline issue that showed how to make a backing patch to repair a through hole. I think you basically wet out a piece of glass on some wax paper and let it dry, It will be slightly flexibleafter curing. Once dry run a couple pieces of fishing line through the patch with big knots on one side so it won't pull through. Put some wet resin on the patch. Fold the patch enough to push into the hole and use the string to pull it flush with the inside of the hull and tape the string to the outside of the hull so it stays in place. Once this sets you have a backing patch. You can then build up the hole from the inside out. Fair with bondo, and then cover with gelcoat.

That's a quick and dirty explanation from my memory without seeing the damage. Im sure some will balk at the use of Bondo to fair, but it works as long as you cover it. ive also ised epoxy thickened with a low density filler. I'm sure you can get directed to the hotline article by someone here or on the Hobie site. You'll have to open the hole up a bit to do it this way. I wouldn't think the materials would run you more than $100, especially if you use polyester resin.

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • I've done basically the same thing as Mac suggested with a thin piece of ply wood used as a backer and left in the hull. Worked great for similar damage and did not take long.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Quotewith big knots on one side so it won't pull through.

With that large a hole, you will need several strings, cut a strip from a plastic juice jug as backing for the patch. It folds easily, won't rot over the next 35 years.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd patch it, then keep looking for a hull, though the patch will show up. However, if funds are tight, what's worse, a boat with a cosmetic blemish, or not sailing?
    I did a similar fix, though it wasn't on a boat.The easiest way is to flip the boat and set the hulls on saw horses, higher than standard if possible. Then gravity becomes your friend. It is easy to reach inside & sand a bit, & wipe down the inside. You can lay up a bunch of layers, drop them into place, then stretch a sheet of plastic & tape it over the hole. Gravity will conform the patch to the inside of the hull, & more importantly keep resin/glass fully engaged with the inside of the hulls.
    After that cures, flip the boat, grind away any ridges, or excess epoxy & lay up several more layers. What works really well is to get a 1/2 dozen of those acid brushes, or other really cheap brushes. Have your cloth precut & ready. Brush on a thin layer of epoxy, drop the cloth in place, then very gently, working from center outwards, brush the cloth down.
    Several times I have just tapped it on with my fingers, you can fully wet 2-3 layers of cloth with very little resin. You will be able to clearly see the cloth when cured. This allows 5-6 layers, without much thickness, making for a strong patch.
    Once the boat is flipped & supported, and you have materials organized, the whole job will only be a few hours, though you may want to let the first bunch of layups cure overnight.
    Admit it, the hull is not going to look great, unless you want to get into gelcoat, but even using West product, you can fix this for $100, less with 3M bondo, & I've seen litres of it in our stores that say ""marine" & waterproof.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I'm not clear on where the hole is? You said between the pylons? Under the tramp frame?

It's common to add an access port to the deck between the pylons, maybe that could be used as access for the repair?

I'll be down at the lake Sunday.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I think it can be repaired. Will have to open it up quite a bit with a dremil and rebuild the glass from the inside out - i already have the fiberglass tape, will need to order more epoxy though. Not worried about cosmetics as long as its repaired very tough. Just got the new trampoline nice and tight and the full EPO upgrade - needless to say i'm pretty stoked to get back on the water ( TOB ) is the most important thing. If its not raining, i like to be on the water all weekend.
    The Hole is under the tramp frame almost directly center of the Hull Deck on the Port side and is very odd shaped - i'll have to make it a nice rectangle opening i believe to get some good repair action going on. The hulls are both otherwise very solid and don't leak at all even after a full day of sailing.
    Does Bondo stick ok to the gel coat? I can get some and definitely smooth out the repair area. What then do you paint it with - White gel coat? or will other paints adhere ok? Again, I don't mind if its visible as long as it looks ok from 10' Away icon_lol People love to take pics every time i take her out icon_razz

Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • fxloop
    The Hole is under the tramp frame almost directly center of the Hull Deck on the Port side and is very odd shaped - i'll have to make it a nice rectangle opening i believe to get some good repair action going on.

Tim

Here's a link to an old article about installing deck ports on a Hobie 16. If the hole happens to be right where you would install a port between the pylons the port could disguise some of the damage as well as provide a means to inspect in the future.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…9/installing-deck-ports/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • yeah i would just cut the hole into a clean circle the size of a port hole. You may be able to just "cut out" the damage add a little bit of reinforcement depending if it delaminated the fiberglass. Good luck!

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • Two free Hobie 16 hulls. Might be able to ship fairly cheep using Uship.com

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/zip/3843270884.html

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.2 Restored and heavily modified
    Nacra 5.2 (one under restoration)
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • I second (or third or whatever) the access port. I would probably go ahead and do the other side as well so it looks 'right'. Besides it gives you a good place to store that mandatory paddle and with one of those cat bag thingys all that other crap you need when sailing with deck fluff (ie suntan lotion)

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • I've already got inspection ports in the rear of the hulls on both sides. Seems like a lot of holes to put in the decks of a H16... Pretty soon ill have the hull storage of a getaway icon_eek
    That does however sound like a pretty simple solution as long as I seal the exposed foam core so moisture doesn't seep in. I do have the materials to just patch it if I discover the cracking extends well past the 7" diameter of a port. It rained heavy all day today so I didn't go lower the mast and bring it home. Bungeed the tarp over the whole area to keep it dry. Thanks for all the tips guys!
    After all repairs are done, does anyone recommend a paint/textured deck coating that will blend in and look good?
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • From Jake on another site
    "A trick I've used in the past is to cut several pieces of wood tongue depressors and glue them to the inside surface of the hole so they overlap the repair piece. Clamp them in place with clothes pins or something similar. Once they cure, they'll provide a shelf for the cut-out repair piece to sit on so your exterior is perfectly flush."

Quote I think you basically wet out a piece of glass on some wax paper and let it dry, It will be slightly flexibleafter curing. Once dry run a couple pieces of fishing line through the patch with big knots on one side so it won't pull through. Put some wet resin on the patch
  • a good example of the need of a tie down to prevent such an occurance. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    marc
  • http://stores.ebay.com/td…5?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
    Shoot this guy a line on ebay. He is in Dickinson TX. I know that's a drive for you, but by the time you factor time & materials, it might be worth it. He runs a cat bone-yard operation from his home in the country. Had tons of hulls when I went there for a part and should have what you need. Nice guy too.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • Bummer, Tim. There's an '88 H 16 for sale here in Jackson. Check Craigslist or shoot me an e-mail for contact details if you're interested.

At our club, we use mobile home anchors, and I'm the Tie Down Nazi. I tell each of our new members that I don't care so much for their boat, but, if theirs gets blown onto mine.....

I'll kill 'em!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Your photos did not show up when I initially read the thread. From looking at them now, FIX IT!
    If you can reach the area from your other port, it will go pretty easy.
    If the patch is mostly hidden by the tramp, just paint the patch white, then look for another good hull.
    Don't get carried away with cutting a large rectangular hole out right away. Carefully remove the "chips", & obviously loose stuff. Then gently grind away the damage, following the cracks, & see what is really broken. It may look much worse than it is. By leaving the foam in place & drilling/injecting, you may well have a fairly strong form, over which you can add some extra layers, both inside & out.
    In one post you mentioned you already had fibregalss tape. That is good stuff, in this case I would purchase some cloth, so that you can cover the entire area with a sheet.
    That hull can & will be back on the water!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I have several old hulls if you are willing to take a road trip to Newport NC.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.