Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

replace jib halyard on classic tornado open mast  Bottom

• I need to replace the jib halyard on this mast. Not sure how to do it and how it connects to internal block system..
    help!
  • Do you have zipper luff jib? Pete
  • yes-
    if you mean the zipper encloses the jib around the head stay.

ed
  • On these old classic Tornados I have, we use a jib halyard with sister clips (Murrays 04-7734). You should have a short pigtail ending above a ring on your forestay (use Murrays 01-4216). You could probably use upper forestay for P-19 (02-2435-00) as the pigtail. Ask them to make rope a little longer for 04-7734. You'll also need an S hook 56-9839 atop halyard shackle. Pete

Edited by pbegle on May 26, 2013 - 01:14 PM.
  • thank you so much!
  • eabatchI need to replace the jib halyard on this mast. Not sure how to do it and how it connects to internal block system..
    help!

Well pbeagle is exactly right and if you know all the details it's pretty easy.
    But it took me a while to get it right.

The main idea is to SEAL UP the mast and still have some way to raise and lower the jib. With my boat this can only be done while standing on shore. That's because the sister clips travel thru the luff zipper pocket when the sail comes up or down and exit at the apex of the bridle wires.

You will need to remove the pulley plate from under the hounds and make an plain aluminum plate to cover the hole and rivet it back onto the mast with some silicone sealer under the edge. There will be no jib halyard or any other wire inside the mast when you are finished.

In addition to that, some guys put on a system from a Hobie 18 that gives you roller furling. This is ideal if you store the boat with the mast up.

I had all the roller furling parts but decided to go with the original system. Sometimes I wonder if this was the right decision.

It depends on where the wind is coming from when you get back to the dock. The main can be down, but you don't want to get blown down onto the windward side of the dock with even the jib up.

So i have to come up from the downwind side of the dock to stop or launch. Just getting the main to latch on the hook on the mast can be a problem.

I made a 2:1 pulley system for my main halyard because it was so hard to get the main up and on the hook. Especially if you are in the middle of the water already.

Anyway, I made a wire sheave and put it inside a side stay adjuster for the Jib halyard turnaround. The lanyard is removable from the jib halyard end by the sister clips and attaches to another short pigtail at the bridle end after the jib is raised. There is also another short stay adjuster here on my boat.

This gives me a place to pin the forestay with some adjustment and also an anchor point for the windvane and pigtail to attach.

I even put a small clam cleat on the adjuster to be able to tension the jib luff.

Take care that you keep the zipper on the jib in top condition, as there are no more zippers long enough for this application that I know of. If you find any 17 foot zippers with both ends on them please let me know?

You can contact me off post and I can send you some pictures of how it all came out.

ewew921@gmail.com

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.