Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

The Skinny SC20  Bottom

• I was looking through some of the threads that mentioned Havlii's new ride. Lot's of comments about the wetness of the ride. I have posted an album showing the road ready Supercat at an outing this past weekend. My experience on the boat was that trapped out is the place to be. The windward hull is rarely in the water so the the crew is pretty dry. Further back and inboard requires scuba gear icon_biggrin

My wife got some pretty cool pics.
    http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=102240.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102267&g2_serialNumber=3
  • Yeah, the water rolls up the outside of the leeward hull, into the air, and then you drive right into it! Trapping is indeed the preferred seat, and these boats are great at popping the hull out and holding it there effortlessly, such a smooth and sensitive helm. If anyone needs a shower, I have one for sale(see classifieds).

Dave
  • keschwaMy wife got some pretty cool pics.

Good pics.
    Your crew is a pretty stand up kinda guy.
    If he lowers himsef to proper trapeze position can he still grab the trap handle?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Havlii can fill you in on that better as he is the skipper, but the crew was on his first sailboat ride ever, and from what i heard, he had already developed definite references. When i was on the trap we were adjusted correctly. First time on a sailboat and maybe his technique was not text book, but he was at it all day and stayed on the whole time.
  • QuoteYour crew is a pretty stand up kinda guy.
    If he lowers himsef to proper trapeze position can he still grab the trap handle?

klozhald, a little back-story is required here. I am helming, (I being havliii), in the aforementioned pics we are clocking just over 20 mph, 1-2 foot chop. Philip (in the crew slot) had never been on a sailboat of any kind in his life, doesn't know a jib sheet from a bed sheet, a trap wire from a barb wire. Thankfully Philip was a quick study, loved the thrill ride and was willing to trap. We had good control and great boat balance so any trap position that works was acceptable for me!

Midway through the day he had figured out what the trap adjusters were for and commented that the 'left' side didn't suit him. I laughed so hard I thought I was gonna fall off the boat, FIRST TIME ON A SAILBOAT, A CATAMARAN NO LESS and he had developed specific preferences!

finally the answer is yes, even at the 'plank' position you can reach the trap handle, if you have long arms icon_wink

Edited by havliii on May 14, 2013 - 09:06 PM.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Those boats are so easy to be one the wire (the boat I learned on). Feels like you are standing on a sidewalk when you are out there. Love the experience. I also love the rooster tail of spray they generate, especially when driving the hulls deep in the water.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • ..........quick shout out to Dawn S. ......... the camera person who took the shot (keschwa's lovely wife). We were over a mile off the shoreline when she took that image (maybe even a mile and a half.) It is a stunning image given the distance, the speed we were traveling, the long lens and a steady hand.

Thanks Dawn.

--
    --
  • havliii,
    It is hard to communicate well sometimes in a post like this. I did not mean to sound critical, just curious.

My comment was more about the trap setup than anything else. In the first pic it looks like the t-handle is already at arms length. The details are hard to see, even in a picture of this resolution. Keschwa's lovely wife has a steady hand to be able to shoot photos this well in the conditions that day.

Your new crew is a keeper for sure= courage and brains!

The force of the wind is easy to see in your sail twist, the position of your main traveler and the fact that you are flying a hull while spilling that much power. The foam and spray from your nearly buried leeward hull made me smile immediately. Obviously a fun day.

Edited by klozhald on May 15, 2013 - 06:23 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Go Rednecks............. kiffer
  • klozhald, no worries, critiques, comments, arguments, compliments, flames are all welcome! This forum always adds 'group think' and I find that a great way to learn. I filter the information through a B.S. lens and take away the good stuff for further review.

It was a great day, one of those days where the power far exceeded our needs, twisting off the top was the only way to lower the CE and stay upright. I couldn't trap out for various reasons, adding a third soul on board or furling the jib might have helped. The speed was in the 20's and the 'fun meter' was pegged, so we did the only reasonable thing...................... sailed our butts off.

--
    --
  • QuoteIt is a stunning image given the distance, the speed we were traveling, the long lens and a steady hand.

Dawn says thanks for the compliments. I do too - the new camera was a Christmas Gift from me and she was not sure about it- I think I am finally scoring some points. It replaced a really capable dslr camera - I could not afford a bigger zoom lense so I got one of those "super zoom" cameras. The zoom is all digital, so the pics get a little noisy, but a good portion of the "noise" in those photos is atmospheric conditions. The shoreline you are looking at is 2.5-2.7 miles from where she was taking pictures. I like what we complain about nowadays - " that $500 camera takes grainy pictures at a range of 2 miles" icon_wink She does have a knack for a good photo regardless of the camera she uses.
  • Quotedoesn't know a jib sheet from a bed sheet, a trap wire from a barb wire.

Ha Ha that's funny.
    Looks like a great ride. We've been pretty slow this spring, still don't have the bloody docks in let alone the toys!
    One thing I noticed in the photo. The jib looks like it has numerous wrinkles along the forestay. Is that just the photo, or could it use a wee bit more downhaul?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteOne thing I noticed in the photo. The jib looks like it has numerous wrinkles along the forestay. Is that just the photo, or could it use a wee bit more downhaul?

You're spot on, the jib is wrinkled up pretty good. We are headed downwind in the photo, the pressure in the main sail seems to cause the forestay to sag. No matter how hard I downhaul the jib it seems I always get these wrinkles when the forestay goes a bit slack.

Suggestions are welcome.

--
    --
  • I just want to be out there~~~~Wrinkles and all!
    This rigging and waiting and fighting with docks stuff sucks.
    Great image!

Edited by scotts1w on May 16, 2013 - 08:50 PM.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.