Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Jib halyard catches on battens during tack  Bottom

• When tacking, the jib catches on its halyard. I thought my previous cat had a clip half way up the mast, on the side, that would hold the halyard off to the side and out of the way. Does this still exist?

I have read that people recommend putting tape over the battens, so they do not have any ridges to catch the halyard. I have also read recommendations to loosen the battens when not hoisted, which would make the tape trick time consuming.

What do you do to keep the jib from hanging up on your boat, or are you blessed with enough wind to let the jib strum that halyard?

Thanks,

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • You need the halyard grip kit ($5.19). Pete
  • I cut the battens as short as possible, helped very much.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Thanks for the halyard grip kit idea (sometimes referred to halyard keeper). At Murray's this is product code 07-1140.

Here are some other forum threads on the same problem. I could still not find a thread on BeachCats.

http://www.catsailor.com/…ubb=showflat&Number=1155

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…ewtopic.php?f=14&t=36036

There was an idea to lash the halyard to the main reefing grommets, which I might try until the next time I step the mast and can install the grip kit. I might be able to get some length off of these also.

Thanks,

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    --
  • Run the jib halyard to the adjuster fork on the bridle instead of down the mast. Another thing is use the super jib battens.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Ron:
    Do you have a sketch or more description of the bridle idea? the halyard still requires a good amount of tension. How and where do you secure it, or do you simply route it through the bridle?
    Thanks,

Edited by yelkenli1 on Apr 18, 2013 - 06:09 AM.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    --
  • Ted, after you raise your jib and crank on the tension, where do you cleat the jib halyard off? On most H16"s there are 2 horn cleats on either side of the mast, are you using either of those cleats?

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/11-6481.jpg

Your other option would be to make a jib jamb-preventer, which is an inverted "V" going from the one side of the beam up to a point on the leading edge of the mast, and then back down to the other side of the beam, using either line or a bungee.

There is a option which is a line from your bridle wires/forestay attachment point to a point on your mast which also works quite well.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12536

scroll to bottom of page
  • yelkenli1Ron:
    Do you have a sketch or more description of the bridle idea? the halyard still requires a good amount of tension. How and where do you secure it, or do you simply route it through the bridle?

Man, it's been years, Add a shackle to the adjuster fork and run the line thru it then back up to the block on the halyard the back down again. You should be able to get 3:1 purchases and then tie half hitches around itself, you do end up with a ball of line that you just bungee to the bridle. No adjusting rig tension on the water thou. Sorry no pic.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • nacra55
    yelkenli1Ron:

Man, it's been years, Add a shackle to the adjuster fork and run the line thru it then back up to the block on the halyard the back down again. You should be able to get 3:1 purchases and then tie half hitches around itself, you do end up with a ball of line that you just bungee to the bridle. No adjusting rig tension on the water thou. Sorry no pic.

Before I got a boat with Aussie halyard, I rigged the jib this way. I used a fiddle block w/becket attached to the forestay adjuster. (I think you gave me that thing, Ron!) Once it was all set, I tied it off with a few half-hitches. It's very tight, so I tied the hitches around all of the lines making up the 3:1....larger knot = easier to untie when you unrig.

FYI in case it matters.....this isn't class legal (or didn't used to be, at least).

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • rattlenhum
    FYI in case it matters.....this isn't class legal (or didn't used to be, at least).

Class legal is so out of style these days anyway.

--
    Andrew ~ Nacra F17 #136, Hobie 18M #22
    --
  • i have been securing the halyard to the horn cleat on the front of the mast. there is an empty one on the port side, and I have the main halyard secured on the starboard horn cleat. That could be swapped.

What is the function of the jib jamb-preventer? Does is simply work to bend the jib so the jib passes the mast more easily? or does it pull the halyard to stern and out of the way?

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    --
  • yelkenli1What is the function of the jib jamb-preventer? Does is simply work to bend the jib so the jib passes the mast more easily? or does it pull the halyard to stern and out of the way?

What I call a jib jamb-preventer is bungee run from the mast to the bridle tangs to prevent the jib sheet from getting tangled around a positive mast rotator, used on boomless boats like the nacra 6.0, 5.7, 5.5 and 5.0.
    Could be useful if you have a cooler rack mounted to the dolphin striker.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.