Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

pic request: jibsheet tangle preventer  Bottom

• I would like pics of bungee type preventer showing attach points and line routing. Thanks in advance.
    Jeff
    PS I have a Hobie 18.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • Don't have a photo handy. You need about 6 ft of shock cord (any diameter will do). Connect it to the front beam near one hull (dolphinstriker is usually convenient). It goes up to the mast, though one diamond wire fromt the stern across the front of the mast and back through the other diamond wire and down to the front beam near the hull. If you have an aftermarket righting system they usually have a couple of places where you can conveniently attach the shock cord near the hulls.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=35332 Here's a pic from the Nacra manual showing it. Should be similar for your boat also.

Also one from another 5.2 http://www.radesignz.com/…ing/08/redo/IMG_2582.jpg

D.

Edited by Wolfman on May 29, 2011 - 10:36 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks! How does it attach to the dolphin striker? My dolphin striker is a solid rod, it looks as if it would slide toward the middle. The attachment at the end is what is bumfuzzling me.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • Yeah it does. I have a couple of eye bolts in my front beam for my righting line that I started to use when I foudn that out.. There may be some drain holes in the underside of your front beam you can take advantage of. Or you could put an eystrap into the front of the beam. You could also tie it to the front end of the hiking straps, although that is messy but would work in a pinch.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Basically all you need to do is make a triangle witha piece of shock cord. Each end attached somewhere beam level towards the outside of the beam and the center of the shock cord forms teh point of your triangle. I have a small carabiner tied to my mast between where the diamond wires meet. When i rig the boat to sail I just lift the center of the shock cord and slip it into the carbiner to make the point. When I put the boat away I take it out of the carabiner so I can step the mast and just leave the shock cord along the front beam. right now the shock cord ends are tied to another line I have on either side of the front beam but in the past I had just tied it to the outer edges of the "V" of the dolphin stryker.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • OR... you can attach a bungie/line from your mast (i use my diamond wires) to your front bridal for the same effect.

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/mar-16-07e.jpg
    (CLICK ON THE IMAGE FOR A CLOSE UP LOOK)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.